Shower tray over ditra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure it's fine but just wanted to check because I haven't done it before.

So in a bathroom with plywood then a ditra matting over that, can i then install the shower tray straight onto the ditra using tile adhesive or should i just cement board over It as I would on a normal floor that didn't have ditra.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ditra is good enough for the tiles I suppose, but like you, not done it or seen it done before! Perhaps post in the tiling forum, here or on the other forum!

Ditra is obviously perfect for tiling on but I wouldn't want to use a covering that may flex/move under a shower tray. It's perfect to stop tiles/joints from cracking etc but I would always have a clear solid base under a tray TBH (WBP ply/OSB3/etc).

Ditra is obviously perfect for tiling on but I wouldn't want to use a covering that may flex/move under a shower tray. It's perfect to stop tiles/joints from cracking etc but I would always have a clear solid base under a tray TBH (WBP ply/OSB3/etc).

Isn't the ditra there to take the flex and movement though instead of say the tiles or in this case the shower tray? I'm not saying your wrong and I can't find anything on anybody else ever laying one straight onto ditra. So I think I may take your advice and just lay cement board in that corner and lay it on that.

Anybody who has done it and it was successful then let me know because it won't be till Tuesday I lay it anyway.

Sponsored Links
Yes and that's the point, the detra moves and the tiles, as a whole will 'float' as one rather than move against each other and then crack. If a tray that's sealed to walls and tiles has the ability to move, even a mill or 2, then over time it will break the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back