Shower tray support - could someone enlighten me please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm replacing a small shower tray with a larger offset quadrant stone resin tray. The original tray was on a plinth built directly onto the joists because there are no floorboards under the tray, they look to have been rotted out and removed when this tray was fitted.

The new tray will have a riser kit.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I am going to put a piece of WBP 18mm ply down for extra support. As the boards are missing for the most part under the new larger tray, do I need to refit boards then put the ply on top? Or can I "embed" the ply into the floor?

I'll use extra bracing/noggins where needed. Embedding the ply would make it level with the boards and my riser panel should fit nicely. My concern with putting the ply on top of new floorboards is the riser panel will be hovering somehow.

I will be sanding and varnishing the original boards throughout the bathroom. They are 18mm.

2) How can a stone resin tray be ok supported by legs, when if bedded on mortar there is much said about trays failing if the tray isn't fully supported? Just a bit confused on that one. I just need someone to tell me the tray and riser kit will work fine really!

Any help much appreciated.

Lube

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back