Shower Tray - temporary installation #2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved an old (70's) ivory and brass shower cabinet and installed a cheapo Triton 8.5kw shower pending a planning decision.

The subsequent rejection and wait for an appeal (1 year so far and counting) means that I am going to be waiting at least another 6 months for any work to start.

We've been watching and shopping for a while and I now have the new shower, an ex-display cabinet and shower tray on their way. The new megaflo is just waiting for new wood pellets to be delivered to become operational.

I want to install this new kit temporarily - it can't be fixed in its final resting place as there will be a new ceiling, floor and insulated plasterboard going in. The drain will be geographically close to its final resting place and that is only plastic, so not difficult, I have also picked up some cheap wall tiles on FB.

I only have two questions:

Is it OK just to use ordinary plasterboard on wooden battens as a cheap wall covering upon which to tile? (hardiebacker or similar will be the substrate of choice for the proper install)

Can I just use sand or a very weak sand cement mix instead of the recommended 5 to 1 as this will only be temporary?

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can tank the board quite cheaply to seal it up and make it waterproof prior to tiling. £50 odd quid from one of the sheds.
th

Don't use sand and cement if it's temp, silicone would do there as long as the base is dry and flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back