Shower tripping...

P

person

Had to replace an old shower today at work, changed cable from 6mm to 10mm, 32amp to 40amp as it was a 9.5 kw going in. Energized it just before finish time and it tripped rcd (combined rcd, main switch-switch is like a dial). Was getting 240v at switch, was just when I was pushing the on button on the shower it tripped?

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to reconcile being a 1st year apprentice and doing installation work like that in a work environment.

And failing.

What did you think you were playing at? And more importantly WTF was your employer thinking?

Did you do the dead tests before energising?

Continuity
Insulation

Did you do live tests before connecting

Zs

Did you test RCD before connecting?

What were the results of the tests.

Is is a separate unit for the shower RCD&breaker? If not, are you sure the neutral is connected to the RCD neutral.

PS I agree with BAS's comments above.
When (if) you get it to work, dont forget that you must be the first person to actually use the shower. :evil:

I'm assuming he has said in another post he's a first year? I can remember doing jobs like this near end of my first year although it was checked when I was done by my employer! If your tests were all ok then i'm guessing it must be something with shower. Would normally have thought neutral was on wrong bar but I think your trying to say whole boeard is protected by same rcd?

Sponsored Links
Ok, what were the tripping times of the RCD and did it trip at 1/2 rating?
What was the insulation resistance reading for the circuit, what was the insulation resistance reading on all the other circuits (if any) fed from that RCD??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back