Shower waste drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people. Just moved and downstairs shower is draining slowly. Almost certainly blocked by previous residents. My first reaction is to manually clear hair etc from the top, but I can't get the grid off. It's a plasticy thing with chrome coming off. Ideally I'd replace the whole trap but it's a downstairs shower with no access at all under the tray. Photo shows the plughole. How can I shift it without breaking it, and can I just replace the inner grid?

Attachments

• 20220718_170708.jpg
    20220718_170708.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
The grate should come off, try using a plastic toothbrush or something to lever it up, be careful though as it could snap. Yes it will be replaceable, if the manufacturer still exists as well as the trap, eg McAlpine.

Thanks Chris. I have tried to lever it up - it just bends but won't budge. It's very hard water here, maybe limescale remover??

Yes, limescale remover could work.

Sponsored Links
Not sure that would work. There are little outdents on OP’s photo.
I never said it would, but there are out dents (as you call them)on the one in the link , so may fit , easy enough to remove them if they prevent fitting .

Unlikely for a shower waste to be blocked with limescale, chances are it's full of hair, soap and other crud. (Soap doesnt dissolve well in Hard Water.) Any idea where the other end goes to? If access available from there, may be possible to get a mechanical pipe cleaner up. Otherwise, try a Wet Vac from the tray end.

AVOID Chemical cleaners at all costs!

This might be the one. May be worth buying it to see if the same and then it won't hurt if you break the old one and you'll know how it goes together.

Reactions: CBW
Many thanks all. Limescale remover freed up the grate, but it still broke when I prised it up. Not the end of the world though. I've cleared most of the blockage, if there's more in the pipeline ( likely) will try the vac suggestion.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back