Shower waste trap slow drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello our shower waste trap is slow to drain and annoying it doesn’t have a trapto remove and get rid of hair build up.

Even more annoying when I put my fingers down there I can’t feel a hole, so I guess the water rises then overflows into the pipe (if that makes sense)

As I got fed up with it today I decided to undo the top part, and was hoping to then see a part I could of then pulled out but nothing, just the bottom of the trap bouncing on the ceiling below.

I’m thinking two things here either cut into the kitchen ceiling and just remove the old trap, replace with a new trap which has a removable filter then either new plasterboard section or fit an access panel for future times

Or put some silicone back down, screw top part of trap back on and try a hardcore unblocker (saves the kitchen ceiling being hacked up).

Whats the best great quality unblocker? I’ve used some cheapo gel stuff which I think has helped a tiny tiny bit?

Obviously due to the odd design I can’t use any tools at all

Thanks

Sponsored Links
as above no chemicals - none at all.
is the s/tray sittin on the floor or on a platform?

could be a lack of ventin issue - does the water gurgle as it goes down?has it ever backed up on you?
how far does the shower waste pipe run before it discharges - is it a straight shot or does it go round bends etc or connect to other wastes?

Sponsored Links
Hello, would that tool work even on my shower waste trap design?

Unfortunately the tray is bang on level with the floor so can't get to it nicely. The water doesn't gurgle just slow to drain and when your in the shower it starts to fill up then when you turn the water off or down then it will drain like 30 seconds later.

Absolutely no idea on where the pipe goes, from what I can tell the bottom of the waste trap has a pipe that goes straight out then I imagine they'll be a 90 degree bend going right and along the ceiling of the kitchen

There's a picture there, also you can see a rubber washer there which has had it, where do I get a new one of them from?

If I decided to just buy a new waste trap I assume I just pull that old washer out and use the supplied ones.

Also just to be sure, the hole is 90mm in diameter (https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-shower-trap-chrome-effect-90mm/45503) would fit no problem

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
would that tool work on my type of waste unit? As it overflows into the pipe rather than a hole for the pipe at the bottom?

Yes just making sure :)

Do you know of a replacement seal i can use instead of my broken one?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back