Slow draining shower waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20200618_094934.jpg Hi all

Just installed a new shower!
Got the classic problem of a slow draining shower. I removed the trap from the waste (the cup part), and it drains fine.

Anyone else have this problem? Thinking if I make the holes in the trap bigger or saw a bit off the pipe that sticks into the trap water it might help.

See trap and pipe part below.

IMG_20200618_094934.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did you install a new waste pipe when you replaced your shower?

Is this a more powerful shower then the old one?

The waste pipe is the same, and have poured a lot of chemical down it to ensure its not getting blocked.

The shower head is new, but I think the flow is more or less similar as it was before.

Is it a new shower waste then, it looks brand new

Normally slow moving water is the result of a partial blockage some where along the run and a good plunge with a plunger sorts it

Sponsored Links
Nothing dropped into the pipe when you were installing the new waste or shower blocking flow?

Not that I know of.
Surely if this was the case the drainage would still be slow if I remove the trap. The fact that if I remove it and it drains fine, to me it seems like an issue with the design of the trap.

Possibly but removing the trap can help the waste pipe breathe better therefore making it seem like there's no blockage

A plunger you can pick up for a quid nowadays

Remember there are miniumum water seals required on traps and cutting the pipe might make it too shallow

Ok thanks for your replies. A bit tricky to plunge so I'll try more chemicals down the pipe I think

How is it tricky to plunge?

Is it a standard shower tray?

If it is there there the easiest to plunge as there's no over flow to block up

Remember I'm only guessing on your predicament you might be right in your diagnosis if the trap is new

The pipe isn't fully blocked and filled with water, so I'm guessing if I plunge, it's just going to move the air over the muck that might be in the pipe and not dislodge it.

The pipe isn't fully blocked and filled with water, so I'm guessing if I plunge, it's just going to move the air over the muck that might be in the pipe and not dislodge it.

Chemicals may well do the same thing, and pass by whatever is blocking it. Mechanical means are your best bet, a Plumbers 'Snake' or similar. However, as you've used chemicals, be extremely careful, drain cleaner is basically acid and will burn through skin and tissue without a second thought.

This is your last pair of eyes!

Thanks. I have a snake but will have to go in via the shower tray. Is this advisable or might it damage the bends of the pipe from the waste?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back