Showermate Shower Booster Pump, 1.8bar Twin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can sbdy offer me some advice for my power shower please.

We had a power shower installed in a refurbished bathroom last year - around June time.

Now - as of today - the shower pump does not work properly. It hums nicely and water is coming out of the shower head but there is no force to the water that comes out like you would expect from a power shower. And its not the vibrant, strong noise the pump made in the early days. Some times the gentle humming stops altogether: this change (from gentle humming to complete silence) makes no impact on the force with which the water comes out of the shower head.

We did not use the shower for a long period - probably from around September to just this week. So it was not used for about 5 months. Before we stopped using the shower, the pump worked fine. So from my layman perspective the pump problems seem to be connected to the 5 months of none use.

I ran the shower for 10 minutes earlier tonight and the pump did kick in properly. I left it running for a further 5minutes with no problems and then switched off. Since then its the same story - the pump either hums gently or makes no noise at all.

Anybody got any ideas as to what might be wrong and what I need to do to sort it out? I read somewhere that the extended period of non-use may have caused the mechanical seal to stick but I have no idea what that is or where it is on the pump.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
more likely the impeller shaft sticking, Give the side of the pump a good tap useally gets them going.

more likely the impeller shaft sticking, Give the side of the pump a good tap useally gets them going.

I have tapped it several times but that doesn't seem to start the pump tbh. The pump is cylindrical and I am tapping along the long sides of it rather than the round ends. Is that where you meant me to hit it?

Both nights - yesterday and today - I left the shower running and the pump started up after about 10 minutes. However tonight, after about 6 minutes of it pumping away, the pump stopped (still making a humming noise though) and the water flow fell off quite considerably. I left it on for about 10 more minutes but the pump didn't kick back in.

Does this suggest the pump is ruined and I need to replace it or is there sthg I could do to stop it stopping/sticking? I stress the pump was fitted new just last year but the shower was left unused for 5 or 6 months.

Sponsored Links
It's under a year old, call them back.
You have one years guarantee under your consumer rights.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back