showers

ajl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can someone advise me. i am in france,fitting a new bathroom. i had hoped to fit an electic shower. i am not sure what 6mm sq means? right now there is 1.5 mm two core and earth, tho seperate wires. not in a sheath like uk 2core and earth. so whats the biggest shower if any i can connect to that. getting bigger wire from the consumer unit in the celler will i am sure be a bloody nightmare, everything else has.i will have to find out what else opperates on this permanent live then i can change the fuse for a higher rating? there is no way i will be able to get cooker type wire up there,of that i am sure. i had only planed the shower to avoid turning on the oil fueled boiler. had i better forget the idea??? please advise soonest as shower ready to fit and existing wires already in wall at shower/pipe point. thanks. mail to

Sponsored Links
1.5mm will support no electric showers. you need to change it to 6mm, more than likely 10mm. also, this should be in electrics outsideUK and if every1 was to email answers to people, there would be no point in a forum.

Is it a shower that pumps hot water from a tank you have already heated, or a shower with a built in heater?
as 1.5mm will only support perhaps 15A depending on installation method, you are stuck with being unable to use the latter type, unless you can take a new 40A radial from the consumer unit.
Note also French regs do not permit reduced earth, and will require double pole circuit breakers.

Does that oil fired boiler heat water in a storage tank? If so, is there an immersion heater in the tank doing nothing?

Your 1.5 sq mm wire is, as Mapj1 has pointed out, only good for about 15 amps (UK rating) - and no, you can't just fit a bigger fuse! Fifteen amps is enough for a 3kW immersion heater. If there's no heater in there you could think about fitting one or changing the tank if your plumbing skills are up to it.

PS: This is how you could do it here in the UK. What do I know about French regulations? Ne pas le sausage! (Excuse my lousy Franglais.)

Sponsored Links
ok guys thanks, i have found a way to get 12 mtres of 4.5 mm2 cable to the shower point, will that do for 8.5 kw shower. no there is no storage tank, just mains press. there is a storage tank as part of the oil fired boiler. but thats not much help in this case. is the overhead isolator. (switch) there in the vain hope,that should one get lit up,one is to be able to retain sufficient control to pull the cord? does the o.1 sec trip not deal with this? and can the unit be earthed to the copper water pipes? i note the bath is. the sparky who lives next door tells me that i will need to get the electric supply upgraded as well, (we communicate via dictionary !!) he seems to think the 4.5mm2 will be ok?
glad i contacted you guys, i was about to tile in the pipes and wires......

Back