Shuttering pipes/trench fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Appreciate this has been covered before so I apologise that I can't quite figure it out in my case (n)
I am digging about 30m of foundations to trench fill, and I was planning on chuting it straight in off the truck and working it to flow around and fill everything (working on my own or with 1 guy, my dad)
However half way round is 2 drains running low down across the trench (600mm ish) and it's just struck me that my plan of shuttering them off completely, ( as advised by bco) will mean I've got no way of pouring the "other side", as there's no access from the front / for the truck. I think if I try to barrow that amount I'm asking for trouble!
Wrapping in compressible material sounds good to me but I think the pipes are too low?
I guess one option is 2 separate pours, covering over the pipes after the first pour has set?
Sorry guys I know this has been asked before but any advice appreciated. If it was a smaller size it would be less of an issue.
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
I don't think BC would have asked for 2 separate foundations to be poured, that would mean they'd act as separate buildings and would need movement joints etc.
As your pipes are low down in trench fill you can just wrap them in polystyrene.

Consider an agilia type mix if you are doing this on your own.

Thanks Tom appreciate the reply. I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick here and that it's not as bad as I thought like you say there must be options as its gotta be a very common issue
Yeah I'll be doing it on my own or hopefully with my dad. Are u referring to a "wet" trench flow type mix? I guess that just needs a bit of help with a spade and a tamp down?

I can't quite picture the cross section and position of pipes, but if you were to robustly box them in with ply and shingle, and perhaps a couple of stakes to support the structure during the pour, then wouldnt the concrete flow over the top eventually and then you're back in business?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks mate yes I think you're right, I'll check what the bco will allow. Thanks all for the replies, I'm a lot less worried now (y)

30M is a long foundation though. I did a 12M long one with two 90 degree corners and it's surprising how much help the concrete needs to 'flow'. I used old garden rakes to drag it around.

Yeah I was planning on having to rake it a bit! Latest concrete guy I phoned says he'll supply 2 lads to give me a hand so things are looking up!
For pegs sticking up from the ground to mark the depth I was gonna use tiling batten or similar unless anyone thinks that's a silly idea (y)

Yes tiling batten is good.. make sure they're well knocked in to the ground, so the concrete won't dislodge them. Get the concrete nice & wet so it flows easier, if you haven't poured it yet.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back