Shutting down a radiator temporarily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to shut down a radiator so that when I remove the glass shelf above it, the Dado rail above the shelf doesn't get warped with the heat.

Please give instructions for both shutting down the radiator and putting it back on line when required the next day.

A quick response would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your quick response.

I take it this applies even if there is no TRV on the radiator?

Correct but non TRV's sometimes dont take kindly to being turned off and back on again (particually if its old or a Drayton). You may develop a small leak which is very easily repaired. worth checking though once you urn the radiator back on again.

Sponsored Links
Just re pack the gland if it leaks when tightned.

TAKE CARE WITH THIS!

I thank everybody who replied to my post.

I actually thought you had to shut off the lockshield valve also when you turned a radiator off, but wanted to make sure.

The flow valve hasn't leaked. It's a Myson Matchmaster installed by Scottish Gas as part of the GCH system, so it might be a good make.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back