Side hinged garage doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of fitting a side hinged garage door to replace an old up and over door. The choice is between two local firms:

The Latham doors are cheaper and probably have better locks but they have external hinges which may potentially be less secure.

The BGID doors potentially have less robust locks but do have a continuous internal hinge.

Any opinions either way on the security and general quality gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Latham steel doors are seriously heavy duty and an industry standard, offering good value and high security, more at home on commercial buildings, plant rooms etc. I wouldn't be perturbed by external hinges on these things, whilst these may be marketed as 'garage doors' in reality you're getting security doors sold as garage doors - I guess they're tapping into another market. They're just these doors https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/steel-security-doors/high-security-double-steel-door/ but marketed on their website as garage doors.
Unless you also have a Latham front or back door these will be more secure than any other door in your house. Even their standard range of security doors are proper tough, though I don't think they're available made to measure.

I can't speak for the other manufacturer in terms of quality or security you mention, they have plenty of spiel on their website but don't seem to be forthcoming with the actual specification and I'd be surprised if they didn't cost a lot more too but they do look more 'garage doory'.

I know what I'd spend my money on if security was my No 1 concern.

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right regarding the security of Latham doors. They do seem bombproof.

One issue I've just realised however, is the clear opening width. To get this you need to subtract 135mm from the width dimension for each door i.e 270mm in total. I have 2360mm between pillers leaving 2090mm which is a bit tight, although I would only use it for the car occasionally. The main reason is to secure the house as the garage is integral.

A roller door would maximise the width but would be less secure. Decisions...

A roller door would maximise the width but would be less secure. Decisions...

Is security a real issue or an imaginary, what-if one? I've had an electric roller on mine for the past 10 years, with not the slightest issue of security. It originally had side opening timber doors, I replaced those with an up-and-over, then the electric roller for my convenience. You cannot beat simply pressing a button in the car or, whilst still in the house, to open the door for you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harry. You're probably right about security, although it only takes one incident and as I say the garage allows access to the house so security is a concern. A roller door is nevertheless convenient for the few occasions when I do put the car in the garage and might encourgage me to do this more often.

Thanks Harry. You're probably right about security, although it only takes one incident and as I say the garage allows access to the house so security is a concern. A roller door is nevertheless convenient for the few occasions when I do put the car in the garage and might encourgage me to do this more often.

Might it be worth improving the security of the garage to house door?

Roller doors are no less secure than any other door provided its of decent quality. Mine all locks up if you try to prise it up.

Harry, yes I was also going to upgrade the internal door. The issue is that once they're in they can break through an internal door unseen and tools will also be kept in the garage to do so! Although I do realise I am being a bit paranoid!

Old Salt, what make of roller door do you have? I think I will explore them further, not least due to the better clear opening width plus the convenience. I just need to be convinced of the security.

Roller doors are no less secure than any other door provided its of decent quality. Mine all locks up if you try to prise it up.

Are your slats not alloy? Mine are - impossible to lift, because they use an over centre link, but they would be not all that difficult to push in.

Are your slats not alloy? Mine are - impossible to lift, because they use an over centre link, but they would be not all that difficult to push in.
Yes alloy, but their is a fair overlap into the guide struts, I suspect any tampering would trigger next doors dog, my cctv and the Mrs. Not sure who I would rather face up to!

Yes alloy, but their is a fair overlap into the guide struts, I suspect any tampering would trigger next doors dog, my cctv and the Mrs. Not sure who I would rather face up to!

Same here, likely they would need a vehicle to do the pushing, which they would have to get through my gates and up my drive first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back