Side hung windows - noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

we have just purchased a house and moved in a couple of months ago. I have noticed a few things with a few of the windows:
- They are ALL side hung
- Some of them "stick" when opening
- Some of them crack/creak when closing them
- Some of them you have to give them a good pull and they shut with a "snap" sound
- Many of them are letting sound in at the corners and edges
- A couple of windows aren't sitting flush against the rubber seal when closed, I can see a slight gap

The rubber seals don't look damaged or crumbly/rotten, so I'm not entirely convinced it's these.

Could it be the hinges?

Any advice or things to look for would be very much appreciated. I've attached pictures of what the hinges and edges typically look like on a few windows.

Thank you in advance!

125262-b93b392ef5d98c26c26ceb57856c9bc8.jpg

125261-0362565b80cc5d4b32911c839e724109.jpg

125260-88c123e7576d8fdfc36300acabe71372.jpg

125259-6250551cc073cab567e0f636e5b31289.jpg

125258-36d96d5f5eab6fd71103c78c12893440.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Boss

Tried this morning, they're all closing much better now, no snapping, but the gaps between the window and the rubber still remain. Any idea how to remedy this?

Thanks again!

When I had a gap after closing I found it to be the hinge, quite cheap to replace can be bought screwfix or somewhere similar.

Sponsored Links
WD40 is not good to use really. It remains wet and gets gummed up with dirt making thing worse in the future. Silicone spray or Graphite spray is whats recommended.

Give the hinges a good clean (and spray with the above) most small print says this should be done every 6-12 months.
In your 4th pic you have a nice close up of the corner tabs, Put a good blob of Vaseline in there (top and bottom hinges) and open/close the window several times. If they haven't been damaged too much this will fix it, If not its new hinges time

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I've sprayed with silicone lubricant (WD40 actually make one, which I didn't realise!), and Gaz, I've whacked some vaseline onto the tabs, so let's see how it goes.

A couple of the windows are now behaving, but the others do still appear to be misaligning and have a gap between the rubber seal and window frame ; for those I guess it's new hinges!

Have a search through this forum on how to buy and change the hinges.
Ebay is pretty cheap and you can get Yale hinges that come with some little clips so they can be used on 13 or 17mm stack heights (this is the trickiest thing to measure).
Then all you need is the lengths

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back