Side of roof finish failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

First post on the forum and little experience so please take it easy. I came home today to find out that a small part of my kitchen roof extension has fallen off. Now you can see a gap between the tiles and roof and the wood which the tiles are secured (I'd appreciate the technical name if it) on is exposed.

Looking at it close it seems that the piece that fell off is, I am guessing black dyed mortar or cement(?). Between the roof and the tiles, holding the mortar seems to be some sort of cement or concrete sheets(?).

I'd appreciate if you can give me your opinion on if I understood this correctly?

If so, I assume i need to replace the cement or concrete sheets and fill the gap with mortar/cement? If that's the case where could i get hold of the concrete / cement sheets? Or are there better alternatives?

Any other suggestions on how to fix it? I covered it with a plastic sheet to keep water out for now, hoping to fix it tomorrow.

Pictures attached:
View media item 86105 View media item 86106
Your comments are much appreciated. :mrgreen:

Regards,
Christakis

Sponsored Links
Not a lot that you can do with what appears to be an incorrectly finished verge - the tile should have come out further forward, and the wood tile battens should have been stopped well back from the edge.

You can buy small pre-mixed bags of sand and cement at most plumbing supplies. Mix a little and point up where S&C is missing from the verge. Maybe prepping with a little SBR will help - google SBR.

The lengths of "concrete or cement sheet" are called fibre cement fillets or boards. Why do you think that you need one?

Is water penetrating to the interior of the extension?

Not a lot that you can do with what appears to be an incorrectly finished verge - the tile should have come out further forward, and the wood tile battens should have been stopped well back from the edge.

You can buy small pre-mixed bags of sand and cement at most plumbing supplies. Mix a little and point up where S&C is missing from the verge. Maybe prepping with a little SBR will help - google SBR.

The lengths of "concrete or cement sheet" are called fibre cement fillets or boards. Why do you think that you need one?

Is water penetrating to the interior of the extension?

Hello, many thanks for your reply. The reason I was asking about the fibre cement boards is because it is crumbling away which is what (I think) caused the cement to drop off. It seems like the roof is covered with a damp proof membrane and there is fibre cement boards only at the edges out to the end of the tile (In my mind to keep the cement in place). No water is penetrating the interior as far as I know.

The extension was built as part of the main house build so it's a bit disappointing to know it's not built right in the first place :eek:.

The wood tile batten is actually further in from the tile (About 6-10cm), maybe the picture doesn't do it justice. Or is it mean to be even further in?

The angle of the photo fooled me - the batten is at roughly the correct place, and perhaps the tile comes over far enough.

There should be underfelt below the battens and it should stop on the fibre cement fillet.The fillet is only installed at the verge.

Why the fibre cement fillet should be "crumbling away" i dont know. Perhaps the verge has been badly re-pointed in the past and bits of that previous re-pointing are dropping off?

Sponsored Links
Yes you are right. The cement fillet is indeed only fitted at the verge and there is under felt fitted everywhere else. The house is just over 12 years old now so I suppose it's natural wear and tear. The constant cold and rain of Manchester wouldn't help either I suppose.

Ok so here's the plan to fix then:
Remove the verge tiles, remove the undercloaks (apparently that's what cement fillets are called here) replace undercloaks lay black dyed mortar with SBR or similar. Put verge tile on top and nail down.

Sounds alright?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back