Sika Maxmix Waterproofer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago I rendered a few internal window reveals with sand and cement and water mixed (in the correct proportions) with this waterproofer. I tipped out what was left in the bucket on to a carrier bag and forgot about it. Yesterday morning, for an experiment, I partially submerged a few pieces of various sizes in a tray of water. Most of the material of these pieces were well above the water level. However, by late afternoon, all of the pieces were completely saturated with water. To my surprise. This can't be right can it? I would expect the top of these pieces to remain perfectly dry. Is waterproofing only achieved by closing in the surface, or is this an ineffectual product?

Sponsored Links
I suppose when a lump of cement mortar, even with added waterproofer in it, is partially "submerged" in water for a time, then that is a totally different situation to the same mix being spread onto a vertical surface where any rain/ moisture etc can run down the wall, and off. Using a top brand like Sika Maxmix for the purpose intended, i'd say that it, and similar products wouldn't be allowed to be on the market if they didn't work,,,,, that's my take on it anyway,,, anyone else got a view?

My thoughts exactly roughcaster! Water runs off the wall in beads in a rendered wall which has waterproofer added in the mix..without it absorbs into the render.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents. I remain unconvinced. I carried out a similar bag of a fag packet experiment some years ago with an SBR based mix of S/C and I'm pretty sure that didn't allow any water to rise above the water level by absorption. This latest mix would appear to be water resistant rather than waterproof. But not that resistant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back