Waterproofing Block Built Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have built a workshop in my garden, concrete block base with a timber framed upper. The structure is built up against an existing block built garden wall. Before building my workshop I repaired this existing wall on the inside (my side) but have not done any work on the opposite side.

The wall is the weather facing wall and is letting damp through. Initially I thought the water was coming in were it was seeping in between the wall plate and the wall but after covering this up with plastic it continued so I can only assume that the driving water is simply seeping through the wall.

What would the best course of action be to waterproof this wall after of course fixing all defects / pointing.

1. Should I render the wall with sharp sand / cement and plasticiser?
2. Do I need to paint the render to waterproof it further?

Here is the wall in question from the inside, the dark patches are damp.

KRXFv9U.jpg

URM303J.jpg

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
I would use tanking slurry. Been looking into this recently myself. Used tanking slurry on concrete floor and a brick wall - cured the issue. Cheap too.

Sponsored Links
On the inside. The slurry on the wall took a while to dry - about a week to completely dry. The floor was faster, a few days.
In a perfect world I'd have taken up the floor and installed new dpm as it had blown in places and the wall - I'd have stopped the water at source but that involves neighbors and their higher ground level and their water butts overfilling since they decided to catch all the water from their roof in it. The slurry is doing well though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back