silencing external sounder when disconnected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be replacing my alarm main panel this weekend, for an identical model. I'd rather not have the external sounder going off for 20 minutes if I can help it, but don't particularly want to have to go up a ladder to it.

These are the current 5 cables from the external box going into strobe and T/A/D/B on the alarm panel.

bell.jpg

Quick question... can the red and white cables above simply be connected to the 12v battery direct to silence it, or is there more logic at play with the yellow/blue cables.

Sponsored Links
It might require a voltage on a "hold off" conductor as well as the positive and negative supply to the sounder.

Do you have the installation manual for the alarm ?

Section from manual.

panel.jpg

Looking at that, the hold off is the red and blue as going into the board, so just connect the red and blue to the 12v battery ? ( confusingly the colours in the manual are not the same as what is actually wired).

I guess I can connect the red to the + on the battery, then just try the others in turn to see which silences it!

Sponsored Links
Red to positive and blue to negative on a battery

Cheers, that did the trick. Wired a couple of cables from a 12v battery to a choc block, so when I disconnected the sounder I could connect to the battery in seconds. Managed to keep the annoyance to the neighbours to a minimum!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back