Silicon tips

M

marsaday

I need to silicon my new bath and tiles up, but the bath tap is very close to the wall so i know i am going to have a difficult time sealing this up.

I assume you would remove the tap before you silicone up, but getting access under the bath is difficult as there is a cupboard next to the bath now.

Is there a special tool for applying the silicone in hard to reach places ?

Sponsored Links
no but put low tack masking tape on wall and on bath leaving a gap were you want to silicon so any excess wont leave a mess

I's worth taking the tap heads off if you can it will help a bit.

The only special tool that I have found is a finger! OK you are supposed to keep it off your hands but if you have used it before and had no reaction it's up to you wether you get it on your hands, you might try it using very tight fitting disposable gloves, you may get a fair finish but I find bare hands best.

Clean throughly, I use methylated spirits, mask as stevw451 says. Fill The bath about 2 thirds full of water.

Smooth bead with a wet finger, wipe surplus off finger each time you come off the silicone when it looks fairly good remove the tape and give a final wipe over with a wet finger and light pressure, keep finger clean of silicone build up. Adding a tiny drop of washing up liquid to the water you dip your finger in will aid smoothing. Big wipes or similar hand cleaner wipes will clean up silicone from you or anywhere else it gets!

If it looks 99% right just leave it. you will only mess up if you keep phaffing around with it! Leave the water in the bath overnight.

Good luck
footprints

Sponsored Links
Have a look for a fugi kit. Makes silicone sealant finishing a lot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back