Silicone around bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had a bath yesterday, and only noticed when laying in the bath that the silicone has cracked at the back of the bath (opposite end to the taps).

Last time I resealed it - around 12 months ago - I filled the bath with water, and didn't drain it until the silicone had cured. However, it seems that the weight of the bath filled with water + the weight of me = silicone cracking again. Do I need to sit in the bath when applying the new silicone? Or, do the feet need adjusting to stop it from flexing so much?

Sponsored Links
Check feet don't need adjusting up and are screwed down Is bath correctly bracketed to wall?
A lot of bath manufacturers ask for timbers fixed under edge especially on long wall side.
If the bath is 'not of best quality ' we generally like to get some timber blocks under bath as well if access difficult use folding wedges with a few dots of silicon to hold in place.
Generally get as solid as possible before re sealing.

Reactions: CBW
Has the silicone actually cracked or come away from either the bath or wall? How fastidious was the silicone replaced before?

Check feet don't need adjusting up and are screwed down Is bath correctly bracketed to wall?
A lot of bath manufacturers ask for timbers fixed under edge especially on long wall side.
If the bath is 'not of best quality ' we generally like to get some timber blocks under bath as well if access difficult use folding wedges with a few dots of silicon to hold in place.
Generally get as solid as possible before re sealing.

Thanks - I'm going to get the bath panel off at weekend and have a look at the feet. I know the previous owner was very meticulous about anything DIY so expect it was fitted properly, but I'll have a check of them anyway.

Has the silicone actually cracked or come away from either the bath or wall? How fastidious was the silicone replaced before?

Yes, the silicone was still attached to the bath, but a gap of a couple of millimetres to where it should have been on the tiling! I thought I'd done a fairly good job when I did it last year, but obviously not so will do it again this weekend!

Sponsored Links
Last three baths I installed I did not use silicone at all having discovered a few years ago a much better method. The inventor actually one prizes a few years ago and the product is called teleseal have a look here:- https://teleseal.co.uk/ . Not as cheap as silicone but the first oneI did was 18 years ago and it's still as good as new.

Last three baths I installed I did not use silicone at all having discovered a few years ago a much better method. The inventor actually one prizes a few years ago and the product is called teleseal have a look here:- https://teleseal.co.uk/ . Not as cheap as silicone but the first oneI did was 18 years ago and it's still as good as new.

These look great. We are planning to have a new bathroom fitted in the next 12-18 months so probably won't invest in these now, but certainly as option when we have the new one fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back