Silicone Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a plumbing Q, but seemed best fit sub-forum
Have been fitting new shower enclosure, glass panels ‘frameless style’
It’s a quadrant shape long glass panel, a shorter panel at 90 degrees, and a door at 45 degrees between the 2 panels.

Shower panels held apart in a fixed position by an angled top bar, that holds side panels rigid, and sets the fixed space opening for the door.
the bar clamps to the glass with a plastic tipped grub screw, which I don’t think is a solid enough fixing.

Thought I’d squeeze in a High modulus silicone, to ‘glue’ the glass to metal bracket, to supplement the grub screw.

Any suggestions for a High Modulus silicone adhesive …. so far option seems to be Dow 785, but this allows for 20% movement, really want something that allows less.

Sponsored Links
If you want something more rigid then a silicone sealant won't cut it, they all have a min allowable movement due to how firm it sets.

If you are looking for something with less movement then you would be looking at using a silicone adhesive. A silicone adhesive - like Evo serious stuff/wet grab or EVO strong stuff - sets to a much firmer type silicone rubber than sealant does.

I’ll look for the Evo product, assume stuff they use for glass to glass joining for aquariums would be good.
Do you know if these can be applied like you would run a bead of silicone, (which is what I need) or do they need a surface to surface joint like wood glue.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back