Silicone render brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've sacked a builder. He was meant to go a few jobs for me but taking the pee and way too slow (on a daily rate) and what annoyed me was my tools wandering into his things, as well as not actually finishing anything he started (ploy to stretch the work out I guess)

He did an outbuilding and did a cement scratch coat on concrete blocks with a fibreglass mesh and a silicone render finish.

He was going to render the front of the house but apart from saying there was lots of prep to do, didn't actually say what he was going to do.

It's the front of a terrace house, had the concrete cladding taken off and it's got painted brickwork underneath. The paint is not flaking and very sound. Taking a wire brush grinder / disk to a brick, damages the brick face and doesn't remove the paint.

What should I expect professionals should quote for / to do? Sbr Slurry on the wall? Mesh mechanically fixed to the wall, something else? I guess an option is external insulation too

Sponsored Links
Mesh mechanically fixed will make sure it adheres properly, though i have rendered over paint before using sbr with no problems.

Mesh mechanically fixed will make sure it adheres properly, though i have rendered over paint before using sbr with no problems.

Can it be the fibreglass mesh or should it be metal? I had a couple of big rolls the original buider said to order (guess he was planning on using this?). Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back