silicone rubber sealant or pipe joint compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could someone tell me please what the purpose of using Silicone Rubber Sealant or pipe joint compound???

Sponsored Links
To help prevent leaks.
Sometimes you really don't need any - depends on the type of joint. But if you're say putting a new fitting in and using the old nut and olive, it's a sensible thing to do, because it does make a difference.
A pot with a brush in the lid is much less messy to use than the traditional plumber's finger!

ChrisR said:
To help prevent leaks.
Sometimes you really don't need any - depends on the type of joint. But if you're say putting a new fitting in and using the old nut and olive, it's a sensible thing to do, because it does make a difference.
A pot with a brush in the lid is much less messy to use than the traditional plumber's finger!
i recently replaced a Valve Seat, (on a compression type faucet, and its leaking now.

should i apply silicone rubber sealant to stop the leak???? help please

Do you mean a washer in a tap (UK speak, are you in US?).
If you mean a Valve Seat, I don't know what you mean exactly.. :confused:

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Do you mean a washer in a tap (UK speak, are you in US?).
If you mean a Valve Seat, I don't know what you mean exactly.. :confused:
oh sorry .... a Valve Seat is sometimes called a Washer Seat in a compression type faucet. (simply a valve seat is where the washer seats when handle closed fully)

The old Valve Seat/Washer Seat was worn out so i replaced with new W/Seat and screwed there. And now there is a leak

by the way i am i canada

++++++
You seem to have started three posts with much the same question.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=468686&highlight=#468686
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=469043&highlight=#469043
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=469707#469707

Please don't do any more

Also you have filled out your profile to say
amanuel
uk.gif

please correct it to tell the truth.

Mod Rupert
+++++++

You naughty Canuck ;) you must have seen all those people with spurious countries like Pakistan etc.........your wrist has been slapped :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back