Silver foil to catch hot paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hia

Posted earlier about what could be used to catch hot stripped paint (from hot air gun not flamed) to protect floorboards or carpet. Was wondering does anyone recon silver foil might be up to the job?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a very good idea...there should be plenty laying around once the turkey has been eaten...

Lucypop said:
Hia

Posted earlier about what could be used to catch hot stripped paint (from hot air gun not flamed) to protect floorboards or carpet. Was wondering does anyone recon silver foil might be up to the job?

Lucypop. A staircase is a big project to strip with a heat gun. Having tin foil around your feet will be a nuisance and dangerous, it will crumple and hot strippings will not be kept under control. Allso the strippings will stay hot for a time. I agree that heat gun strippers dont flame up as much as a naked flame but they can and do ignite. Believe me please ;)
presume youv'e read up on this but see if this helps.
http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht086.html

Not being pompous but I dont think you'll achieve a clean finish for varnishing/staining. Depends how thick original wood primer was. Usually find that primer has soaked into wood and impossible to remove even with chemical and wire wool.
Good luck any way.
Btw. plywood sheets I use are only 2mm thick and so easy to just sweep strippings/dust into a pan when cool enough.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back