SIM card lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched a programme last night about someone whose mobile had been stolen and the SIM was put into another phone to access her data; the recommendation was to set a SIM PIN lock so that the card can't be used in another phone without the PIN. How secure is this?

Sponsored Links
Very secure.
Also stops people (if you lose phone and SIM card) from using the SIM to make international calls. (Hear of a stolen/found sim card being used in an international call shop and for a couple of hours before owner got it cutoff.

There's a page on my provider's website where you can enter your mobile number and find the PUK, so what's the point?

Sponsored Links
There's a page on my provider's website where you can enter your mobile number and find the PUK, so what's the point?
The PUK is not the SIM card lock. It’s to unlock a phone from a particular network so that it can be used on a different network. Since Dec 2021 it has been illegal for networks to lock a phone to their network.

I thought that was a PAC.
PAC is short for 'Porting Authorisation Code'. You need to get that code from your current airtime provider if you want to change to a different airtime provider and keep your existing mobile number. You get your PAC, take out a new contract (and get a new number) and you then tell your new provider your PAC and the number you want to bring across. Only takes a day. I only did Mrs Motties phone number swap yesterday when she changed from 'Three' to 'ID mobile'. I’ve had the same number since 1988 and swapped networks dozens of times.

Back