Sime 80c combi boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i'm looking for some advice please, I have a sime 80c combi which is approx six years old. For the last few months i've been having problems. At first when i turned the hot water on it would knock the central heating off and it wouldn't come back on for a few hours, more recently the central heating takes anything between 10-30 mins to come on and the boiler makes a "groaning" noise.

The same applies to the water - between 10-30 mins before the water gets hot. Unfortunately now I can't get heating or hot water, the boiler is making a very quiet "ticking noise" as if something is trying to happen and you can hear water flowing through it. Is it worth calling an engineer out or has the boiler died? I don't really want to pay for someone to look at it unless the problem is fixable.

Many thanks in advance for any replies recieved.

Sponsored Links
Provided the parts are still sold, any problem can be repaired.
How long since the boiler was fully serviced?

Many thanks for the reply - the boiler has never been serviced as we advised by the engineer who fitted it that sevicing was a waste of money as all they did was to "clean the fan".

I take it this was bad advice then?? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yes, that was a proper cowboy talking.
Ask everybody you know locally for recommendations, and if there is someone that has had the same guy for years taking care of all repairs and sevicing, that is the guy to call.
Tell him about the fault, and that the boiler has never been serviced, so he knows what to expect.
If you are really lucky, it thorough service is all it needs. 50/50 you need a flush as well, in which case a filter would be a good idea too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back