Sime Friendly Format 80e Combi Boiler won't fire up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Sime Friendly Format 80e combi boiler that has developed a fault that I hope to be able to resolve but (via a gas safe engineer) we have replaced the main pcb and air pressure part with no joy.

The problem occurs when the boiler the heating or hot water is turned on, the boiler makes the sound as if it is going to fire up but then clicks immediately and doesn't fire up, instead it goes into this loop of sounding like its going to work, clicking and stopping...sounding like its going to work, clicking then stopping etc etc. so the boiler doesn't ever get to the stage where it's lit, it clicks off before then, tries again etc.

The clicking sounds like its coming from the blue Ignition Control box at the front and I understand this contains a PCB also. Could this be the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated as I pray the the thing can be repaired!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh dear!

What I always say in these cases is that presumably you engaged the engineer to diagnose the fault and he has changed parts which have not cured the problem.

You should not have to pay for new parts which were not required to solve the problem.

The ignition circuit COULD well be the problem but it could also be other cheaper parts too. We are not allowed to comment on gas/combustion matters on this forum.

All I can say is that you need a competent engineer to check the relevant parts of the boiler to diagnose what really is the problem. You seem to have had what we call a "parts changer" who just changes a few parts to see if that solves the problem, the PCB being a favourite, when he does not have the skills to correctly diagnose the problem.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

The guy who has been trying to fix the issue hasn't given up yet, he seems a decent chap and hasn't charged us anything for the parts that didn't solve the problem so can't really say fairer than that at this stage.

Just hoping to get an insight from the experienced masses on the forum and crossing my fingers that the boiler is going to be OK!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I am very glad to hear that!

Let him continue but I cannot say here what the possibilities are but he should have a good idea.

Sime Friendly boilers are one of the most unfriendly but they are totally repairable by the right engineer. They are getting rather lonf in the tooth though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back