SIME Friendly Format 80E - cuts out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have read through a few posts here regarding the SIME Combi boilers and a common fault.

The fault is that occasionally the main burner will simply cut out and the CH & DHW will both be non-functional. The only way to resolve it is to switch the dial to off and then back on.

Does anyone actually know what causes this - is it over-heating, could it be a lack of ventilation in the boiler cupboard?

Is it a faulty part such as a thermostat? It is driving me mad, especially when taking a shower or bath and the water suddenly goes cold as the boiler cuts out!!

I would apprieciate any help before I call someone out to it and get charged a fortune. Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Prodigymad,

Have had the same problem for months. British Gas have at last sorted. Apparently there are two printed circuit boards. It sounds as if the one in the blue casing needs replacing. SIME's help desk should be able to assist.

Sponsored Links
Prodigymad,

It is probably the igniter PCB to give its technical term. They are not cheap £90 +VAT

thanks for the reply, i will have to see if i can find someone who will look at the bloody thing now. I might even get a new boiler eventually, i don't think it can cope.

The water doesnt get very hot despite it being on the max limit. It appears to get a little hotter when you turn the tap down a bit but its no good when trying to fill a bath!

No wonder SIME went bust!

Don't give up now. I felt like replacing the boiler too. We experienced exactly the same problems. It used to drive my wife mad. Since replacing igniter PCB the boiler works fine. Hot Water everywhere all the time. until the next time!! Thank goodness for BG contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back