Simple question (ha ha)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
12 years ago we had new power showers fitted (Mira). First two pumps lasted about 4 years, third about three years, and the 4th is just over a year old and is about to pack-up. Fitting the pumps are quite straightforward, so the last two I have replaced myself - Salamander Twin Impeller 1.5 Bar. Last time, I called Salamander to see if I could get the warranty extended from two years to three years, I explained the water supply to the pump came via tee from the hot water cylinder and because I didn't have a "proper flange", they told me it was plumbed in wrong, so no warranty would apply. The plumber that fitted it all seems to have lost interest!

So I called in plumber no. 2 to fit a flange, ready for the next pump. He's told me a flange can't be fitted because there's no threaded attachment on the cylinder. Options now seem to be:

a) just keep buying new pumps every 18 months or so.
b) plumber fits replacement vented cylinder with a Surrey Flange
c) plumber fits new Joule Indirect Unvented Cylinder

If I understand correctly, option c) means i) cold water tank in loft can be dispensed with and ii) no need for a shower pump, as all water will be at mains pressure.

My question is, is it likely that the shower pressure will be at least as good as what we are used to? (And are there any unintended consequences of fitting an unvented cylinder?)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So I called in plumber no. 2 to fit a flange, ready for the next pump. He's told me a flange can't be fitted because there's no threaded attachment on the cylinder. Options now seem to be:

Option 4) get a plumber who knows what an Essex flange is.

Thanks sooey. The plumber did mention an Essex flange, but said that would involve drilling into the cylinder, and he wouldn't do that. Would that just be because he couldn't be bothered, or could there be a technical reason? Or could it be that he was a bit p'd off having gone to the trouble of picking up a Surrey flange before he'd realised he couldn't use it? Reading the Salamander stuff, they do recommend an Essex flange.

No idea why he wouldn't do it but they're easy enough to fit and a lot cheaper than an unnecessary new cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Never had a problem with an Essex flange. Apart from the time I dropped the bits through the hole and had to hunt around the local merchants for another one. :mad::oops:

pump are crap anyway, I know of loads that have just died for no reason, flange or not, I also know of an equal amount that are still fine hashed in with a load of speedfit no flange and wired off the immersion.
Salamander and their bullshit pay first warranty second .
I would go for an unvented, pumps are noisy as ****, although an end suction pump from a storage tank through an unvented is top drawer shizz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back