Simple question re: cable colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I want to wire up a Honeywell room stat which needs three wires Live, Neutral, and switched live. There is also an earth terminal for earth wiring continuity.

A) I can wire this up using two lengths of t&e (one being the feed coming from the timeswitch, and the other going on to supply the boiler.)

B) If I wire this up using 3 core cable and earth harmonized cable, which colour should I use for the various terminals? and how do I tag the wire to show that one of the conductors is neutral?

Which of the above, A or B, is the more preferable?

Thanks,
Bothy

Sponsored Links
B,

brown = live
black, sleeved brown = switched live
grey, sleeved blue = neutral

remember the sticker about differing colour codes to be stuck on the cu

Thanks Adam, I was thinking along those lines myself although I would have transposed the black and grey conductors.

bothyhead said:
Thanks Adam, I was thinking along those lines myself although I would have transposed the black and grey conductors.

Lots of people would, no one is really sure which way to jump, but if it had been the old colour scheme:

red - live
yellow - sw live
blue - neutral

and red was replaced by brown, yellow replaced by black, blue replaced by grey, it makes sense to just 'equate' the colour schemes, plus there is a train of thought that says the asscotiation between black = neutral that people hold should be broken

Sponsored Links
Is there another name for 3 core and earth?

I unsuccessfully tried to explain to my local electrical store the type of cable that I was looking for. They told me that there is no such thing as 3 core and earth and the nearest thing that they could offer was NYMJ (only available in 100M).

I then asked for 20M of single core 2.5 - only to find out when I got home that in fact it's 1.5. Would it be save to run a central heating boiler and pump off the 1.5, or do I have to go back to plan A?

Thanks again.
Bothy

bothyhead said:
They told me that there is no such thing as 3 core and earth
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CA1.5SLASH3.JPG

CA1SLASH3H.JPG

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i do know that it used to be hard to get three and earth in certain parts of the UK and various two way switching arrangements were used.

for upstairs downstairs a common way was to take the permanent live from the other switch though this should only be done if both lights are on the same cuircuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back