Simple soundproofing

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We get some noise come through from our neighbour's house. I have read loads about sundproofing - building stud walls, green glue, rubber floating walls, soundbloc etc. but really, budget is low and my DIY skills are limited - my main concern is how I will physically get the soundbloc plasterboard into the rooms etc.

After a lot of searching, I have a possible solution.....

Stick on sound blocker and bookcases....

If I cover the party wall with http://www.soundstop.co.uk/solutions/wall_solutions/wall_solution_4.php and then fit floor to ceiling bookcases, and fill in any gaps at the top with an extra thick bit of wood. Bookcase - something simple with a back, like http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00263850/

Then fill with as many books as I can ......

I know probably it won't be as effective, but it will be easier and more useful ...

but will it be worthwhile at all?

Sponsored Links
If done right then the soundblocker panels will work okay. I'm less convinced by the bookshelf idea on top.

Sound travels through solid materials (which is why bass is so difficult to stop) and through the air. This last is why it's important to leave no air gaps. You can't achieve that with a book case full of books. There are just too many gaps. Bookcases make good diffusers for breaking up sound reflections within a room, but that's not the problem you're trying to address. Rather than wasting money on a bookcase and books just save up a bit longer and do the job right with the soundblocker panels and a double layer of sound blocking plasterboard.

Do any companies deliver soundbloc in smaller, easy to handle panels?

Aren't these panels the same size as sheets of plasterboard, something in the region of 2400x900 or 2400x1200? That's not too difficult to handle really. These are standard sizes for the building trade.

You could always cut the panels down yourself. Just remember though, the more joints the less effective the result unless you compensate with acoustic putty to seal the extra gaps. That'll increase the job cost.

Sponsored Links
... then fit floor to ceiling bookcases, and fill in any gaps at the top with an extra thick bit of wood. Bookcase - something simple with a back, like http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00263850/
Then fill with as many books as I can ......
I know probably it won't be as effective, but it will be easier and more useful ...
but will it be worthwhile at all?

If you put the cases floor to ceiling with a small gap off the wall and sealed around them, this could almost be equivalent of a stud wall. Books themselves aren't bad as a sound absorber but the back of the Billy range are just hardboard so anywhere the books aren't filling just has 2mm of compressed cardboard stopping the sound, so you'd need to beef the back up with something.
Of course bookcases and books are a lot more expensive than plasterboard and wood.

Aren't these panels the same size as sheets of plasterboard, something in the region of 2400x900 or 2400x1200? That's not too difficult to handle really.
Speak for yourself Hercules! :D
I had 2400x1200x12.5mm Knauf Soundbloc panels delivered to my home and they're bloody heavy! Certainly not a one person job to shift them around.

Yeah, my thinking was same - more expensive, but a practical solution. But, for now we have decided to do nothing. Unless I find a pile of cash somewhere.

I had same thoughts about weight of soundbloc - I tried lifting one in B&Q and quickly returned to the paint section where I am more comfortable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back