Simthing for the weekend, sir?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next month, I'll be going to France for a few days to assist pupils discover the delights of Paris, . These include the Arc De Triomphy thingy, the Eyefull Tower, boating along the insane, some science museum or other. Plus, of course, the cultural capital that is EuroDisney :mrgreen:

Naturally, I hope not to spend much time engaged in conversation with the petit jeunes, and even less with my colleagues :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thus, without further ado, the question is - what's the best way of getting a cheap prepaid data only sim for my 3G samsung tablet?

Before anyone kicks off with this sort of shenanegan, I've tried that and am none the wiser :oops:

Sponsored Links
The tablet is wi-fi,do they have hot spots like in this country?
Orange is French owned isn't it, so I guess for coverage their's would be an option.

The easiest way will be to find a phone shop in Paris such as SFR, Orange or Bouyges, and buy a sim there, but they are very limited, usually no more than 4GB of data (or "GO" as they call it here) and recharges are not cheap.

Thanks for the replies. Having checked with orange, the only thing they could offer was a 4G payg card which requires an initial top up of £15 for 2Gig usage (valid for 30 days), which would then require £3 per day add-on bundle for 10Gig usage per 24 hours. Would have gone for this had it not been £15 initial top-up fee, as my Three account covers the UK data usage.

As for popping into a French store. Thanks, but the itinerary will not include any time for independent shopping so the opportunity won't arise.

Sponsored Links
as my Three account covers the UK data usage.

I'm with Three as well. I have a 3-2-1 PAYG sim card which seems to be an excellent deal: a penny for 100MB of data, for example, and no time limits.

Have you explored the cost of using your Three account abroad? I think it's called 'roaming', although I am very new to this sort of thing. I'd be very grateful of any advice about using mine abroad.

I'm with Three as well. I have a 3-2-1 PAYG sim card which seems to be an excellent deal: a penny for 100MB of data, for example, and no time limits.

Have you explored the cost of using your Three account abroad? I think it's called 'roaming', although I am very new to this sort of thing. I'd be very grateful of any advice about using mine abroad.
Will explore and get back to you :)

Will explore and get back to you :)

I made a mistake. It's a penny for ONE MB of data! Still good, though.

I've used my 321 SIM loads since early December when I first used it in my Mega and I've topped up with £20 in that time.

I don't use my mobile massively compared to some, but recently, I've used it for roaming the internet, calls and texts and hammered it over Christmas.

I still have some credit left. As Paul might say, "not a lot", but it will last me till the end of Feb.

If I keep that up over a year, it works out at £6.67 per month.

Yes, I know for £6.90 I can get a Pay Monthly SIM which gives me 500 MB
200 minutes and 5,000 texts, but that would lock me in for a year, plus I like the fact you cannot overspend on PAYG.

For example, No. 1 son has Pay Monthly SIM deal which gives him a bundle. If he goes over, he gets a huge bill at the end of the month.

Last month he did this on his mobile AND called his mate on our landline instead of his mobile (costing us extra on our LL bill), accruing an additional total of £90 worth of call charges.

Don't worry.

I took the money out of his savings.

He's going to be a bit more careful now.

I hope....

JBR....glad you're getting on with yours!

Think calls from France to UK via 3 PAYG is 25p (from memory).

EDIT: see here:

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4147,Case=obj(4445)

Dex

Try dataroam.co.uk

You can buy a country-specific data SIM to be delivered in this country.

Sponsored Links
Back