SING A SONG OF PARLIAMENT,

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
Had the Germans wanted to invade England they would have done so, it was out of deference to our royal family and their connections (in the past to Germany that they did not do so)
What they wanted we have given them anyway, war or no war.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Had the Germans wanted to invade England they would have done so, it was out of deference to our royal family and their connections (in the past to Germany that they did not do so)
What they wanted we have given them anyway, war or no war.

Wotan

What ******.

Hitler wanted to make peace with us, but we wouldnt accede to his demands, so he ordered the invasion. So thats shoots last stupid ignorant remark down in flames.

The technical problems of making an armed landing on a hostile beach were learned at Gallipoli 23 years previously. Operation Sealion had four prerequisites before it could begin:
* Elimination or sealing off of Royal Navy forces from the landing and approach areas.
* Elimination of the Royal Air Force (RAF).
* Destruction of all Royal Navy units in the coastal zone.
* Prevention of British submarine action against the landing fleet.

The first phase was the destruction of the RAF, in the phase we called The Battle of Britain, which as we know, they gave up on and switched to other targets.

Contrary to your badly informed opinion, the failure to beat the RAF defeated the invasion before it started. We would not 'give them what they wanted', it was standing up to Hitler that saved the western world. Hitler was never going to take these islands without a bloodbath, every town, every street, every house would have been fought and paid for in german blood, make no mistake about that.

See the difference then to know was nowadays people are sheep who do what they are told, in those days we had backbone and werent going to let Hitler do what he liked, so please take your ignorant defeatist opinion elsewhere. Speaking as one whos entire previous generation fought (and in some cases died) in WW2, i find your flippant offhand dismissal of my family war sacrifices offensive.

It was the English channel that saved Britain, the British army had been defeated on mainland europe, but for he channel theGermans would have swept into Englnd, their paras would have seízed the airfields and that would have bee that,
My grandfather was at gallipoli with the royal navy, he was shot through he lung while lnding troops in open boats, he called the cmpaign "churchills blunder"

It was the English channel that saved Britain, the British army had been defeated on mainland europe, but for he channel theGermans would have swept into Englnd, their paras would have seízed the airfields and that would have been that,
My grandfather was at gallipoli with the royal navy, he was shot through the lung while landing troops in open boats, he called the campaign "churchills blunder"

Sponsored Links
It was the English channel that saved Britain, the British army had been defeated on mainland europe, but for he channel theGermans would have swept into Englnd, their paras would have seízed the airfields and that would have bee that,
My grandfather was at gallipoli with the royal navy, he was shot through he lung while lnding troops in open boats, he called the cmpaign "churchills blunder"

This is hypothetical ****** about a situation that never occurred. Had there been no English channel, England would have been part of Europe and the history of the world would have been radically different from about 2000 BC onwards. So the argument about the Channel stopping Hitler is irrelevant, they may never have been a Hitler or WW2 had there been no Channel. The channel wouldnt have stopped him had he had air superiority, plus the other prerequisites i listed above.

The fact is, and this is accepted wisdom in wargames, without air superiority any sea invasion is doomed. Thats why we, who recognised this need, obtained air superiority before D-Day - we crippled the airfields, aircraft production, oil production, and fuel production, to cripple the luftwaffe, then we crippled the docks and french rail system and bridges, to cripple the movement of troops. I repeat, and you can go and read a few history books to get the same view, that Hitler abandoned Operation Sealion because of the failure of Goering to cripple the RAF and obtain air superiority.

Furthermore Gallipoli was World War 1, and nothing to do with WW2, apart from the lessons learned, and indeed it was Churchill mistake, although The incompetence of the Generals didnt help. They had the transports loaded back to front, so the Navy sailed up the Straits and there wasnt a Turk in sight, they could have landed unopposed, but then they discovered the problem with the supply transports, turned round and went home to repack them, and when they returned a month later there was 100,000 Turks waiting for them on the mountain ridges.

And if you want a big willy contest about who did what.........

-My father was a WO navigator , and did two tours, one over France and one over India. he was shot down in the Bay of Bengal and spent a week ina dingy avoiding Japanese until picked up by a Catalina Flying Boat.
-My Uncle was a heavy bomber pilot 1944 and was at the firestorming of both Hamburg and Darmstadt
-My Aunts were WRAAFs. WRENS, and Land Army
-My Grandmother was a QAIMNS sister on a Hospital Ship Brittanica
-My Grandfather was CPO on the HMS Pegasus and mentioned in Dispatches at the Battle of Jutland 1916 and was recalled as Reserve in WW2 and at the Battle of Denmark Strait when the Hood was sunk by the Bismarck
-Another Uncle was Intelligence Attache to the US Army and British Army liason at the Salerno Landings in Italy.

So ive been steeped in the history of the world wars since i was able to listen to the stories. I consider your view to be defective in this subject, based on your lack of proximity to the events............

Very impressive, but what did you do during the war.
By the way i knew that Gallipoli took place in WW1 i only brought it up as an aside because you mentioned it in your post,

I have to agree that your analysis is essentially correct.

I dont think hitler was serious about invading Britain. he had the British army on its knees at dunkirk , he could have finished them off why he didnt is a historical mystery.
Maybe he was more interested in destroying Russia.

I dont think hitler was serious about invading Britain. he had the British army on its knees at dunkirk , he could have finished them off why he didnt is a historical mystery.
Maybe he was more interested in destroying Russia.

No, at the time he believed he could still negotiate a peace with england, and so by letting us get away at dunkirk he could use it as an olive branch. You can see the logic, it wouldnt have paid to utterly destroy the BEF, it would have been counterproductive, as it would have set the resolve of the english against negotiation and towards resistance and revenge. The BEF was no danger to Hitler once it had crossed the channel, because it left all its equipment behind, a mountain of supplies; vehicles, artillery pieces, ammo, horses.......

Sponsored Links
Back