Single brick garage ballpark cost?

You could potentially make something involving the existing walls and a timber shed type structure and secure it

Sponsored Links
https://www.summergardenbuildings.c...MInZi6hsrU6gIVA-3tCh2ieQPOEAQYBCABEgLNM_D_BwE

I have no experience with them - and this isn't a recommendation.

At work, we have bought storage/shipping containers- they'd look terrible in a domestic environment and the planners might object. But you could screen it/clad it- maybe worth looking into?
You can also get steel storage buildings - not the cheap "tin shed" but more of a building

Can anyone give me an idea of what this would cost? I'm in West Midlands.
I built this double garage fella in Burton a couple of years back...
...and I priced it in at around £18k. However that price was based upon being built as part of a larger (same site) project. To build it in isolation would have cost a few £000 more. Its a nice solid dry space with ok loft room too. Walls are brick outer and pointed block inner. Plaster boarded and skimmed ceiling. Roof trusses with the centre section boarded for storage.

Just costed up a basket full of various timber and sheeting materials for a 3 sided timber frame workshop.

3m wide x 4.8m long.
2x8 floor joists at 400mm centres covered in 18mm OSB and filled with 100mm insulation.
2x4 wall framing at 400mm centres again covered in 11mm OSB inside and out, cladded with feather board and filled with insulation.
2x4 roof joists covered in 11mm OSB and roofing felt. Insulation on the underside held in by 3.5mm plywood.
Steel single door & single UPVC window.

Already basket upto over £3.5k and I haven't thought about foundations, electrics yet.

Its easier to buy a house that is £50k more expensive than it is to build a simple garage/workshop. No wonder housing in this country is so neglected.

Sponsored Links
timber frame workshop
I personally would always opt for masonry walls and concrete floor wherever possible. Whilst timber seems ideal, it does come with its own set of construction issues (think insulating and ventilating the structure), it also brings about future maintenance issues onto the owner.

It's for the same reason I discourage the use of timber products for landscaping. Folk think that because the wood was dipped in green preservative, they have everything covered, lol.

Its easier to buy a house that is £50k more expensive than it is to build a simple garage/workshop. No wonder housing in this country is so neglected.

Not sure what you want people to say to you mate. It probably is easier to buy a house that’s 50k (or 500k) more expensive than it is to construct any sort of building - but it is also 40k (or 490k) more expensive to do so.

£10k spend for the garage you originally wanted seems to be the consensus of opinion. You could do it for less if you change the materials, reduce the size, build it yourself, or get some cowboys in.

You say the house is as good as others 50k more in the area, but you could afford to pay 50k more if needed. Assuming you’ve got a decent deposit, this house is going to cost you about 500ish a month in a mortgage - whereas a £180k house is going to be 700-750 a month.

So while indeed it might be ‘easier’ to sit back and buy something with a garage for £50k more, over the lifetime of the mortgage you’re going to spend £60k (ish) including interest to get that £10k garage.

You’re also not appearing to consider that spending £10k on a proper garage may well increase the value of the house you’re looking to buy by a multiple of the amount you spend - especially if it’s the relative bargain you say to start with. So for example, the house with garage could be worth £150k once built - which is a good return on your £10k spend when/if you ever sell.

With all due respect, if you can obtain a £180k mortgage but end up buying a £130k house, then money should not be that tight for you. As I mentioned, you’ll already be at least a couple of hundred quid better off a month in mortgage repayments, and assuming you have a 10% deposit for a £180k house, buying a £130k house with the same deposit % would give you £5k in cash to go towards the build already, and once the house is bought you could easily get an unsecured loan for less than a couple of hundred quid a month to cover the rest of the costs of a small garage build. (And you’d still be paying no more that on your £180k mortgage for the short duration of that loan).

Obviously all the above is taken in face value that all the comments you’ve made in this thread are accurate. I appreciate you might just of wanted someone to say, ‘no more that £5k boss’, but it is what it is.

If you decide to buy this house and then build a proper garage with decent spec (ie double skinned) and no corners cut, please try to consider it as an investment rather than an expense, and that way you’ll feel better about handing that £10k over to a builder to get you the thing you actually aspired to have in the first place.

@kingandy2nd its always having cash that's the problem isn't it.

The house is only a little 2 bed so is really very small but has some land to the side. I live alone so I don't need a big house with lots of bedrooms and bathrooms in it like most houses seem to be, but I do need storage space because I have lots of outdoor hobbies - cycling, scuba diving. They come with alot of equipment. Houses on the market don't cater for this very well at all.

I know its nothing anyone can do anything about its just annoying that there was no foresight by the original developers (or any developers for that matter - they are all as bad). It would have been far easier and cheaper for them to have built the garage at the time the house was being built than to have to do it later.

re the numbers - a £130k house with 10% deposit needs £13k. A £180k house with 10% deposit needs £18k (which is what I have), that's a £5k difference - not enough to build the garage. So monthly payments and long run cost aside, its initially far easier for me to buy the bigger house than it is to buy this house and build a garage. Problem is that there are so few houses built with garages (foresight/planning issue again) that I can't find anything even at the higher price.

You could buy it now, stash a load of stuff in the house, and do a diy build garage when money allows?
I live alone in a 3 bed house with garage and shed. It's packed with crap. You might feel no it difficult to pull if you live amidst bikes and scuba gear, but you"ll have plenty of time to spare for diy

I don't know day rates for brickies etc but if you were the labourer and did as much of the ground work as possible would that work?

Can’t you borrow a bit more on the 130k one in order to cover the garage build cost?

@kingandy2nd its always having cash that's the problem isn't it.

The house is only a little 2 bed so is really very small but has some land to the side. I live alone so I don't need a big house with lots of bedrooms and bathrooms in it like most houses seem to be, but I do need storage space because I have lots of outdoor hobbies - cycling, scuba diving. They come with alot of equipment. Houses on the market don't cater for this very well at all.

I know its nothing anyone can do anything about its just annoying that there was no foresight by the original developers (or any developers for that matter - they are all as bad). It would have been far easier and cheaper for them to have built the garage at the time the house was being built than to have to do it later.

re the numbers - a £130k house with 10% deposit needs £13k. A £180k house with 10% deposit needs £18k (which is what I have), that's a £5k difference - not enough to build the garage. So monthly payments and long run cost aside, its initially far easier for me to buy the bigger house than it is to buy this house and build a garage. Problem is that there are so few houses built with garages (foresight/planning issue again) that I can't find anything even at the higher price.
Like I said mate, seems nuts to spend and extra 50k (And then pay 25years interest) to get a 10k garage.

A 12k unsecured loan with Tesco is £215 pm for 5 years, so you’d still have more money in your pocket from day 1 if you went down the route to buy this house and build a garage, then once the unsecured loan is paid off you have £2.5k more on your pocket every year for 20 years - that buys a lot of bikes and scuba gear.

Can’t you borrow a bit more on the 130k one in order to cover the garage build cost?

Not these days no, mortgages tend to be limited to 90% LTV and even that's a push right now. Gone are the days when you could borrow 105%.

Like I said mate, seems nuts to spend and extra 50k (And then pay 25years interest) to get a 10k garage.

A 12k unsecured loan with Tesco is £215 pm for 5 years, so you’d still have more money in your pocket from day 1 if you went down the route to buy this house and build a garage, then once the unsecured loan is paid off you have £2.5k more on your pocket every year for 20 years - that buys a lot of bikes and scuba gear.

The extra £50k doesn't just get a garage, it gets a generally bigger house in the first place. This little 2 bed is really quite small. I'm only considering it because it is cheap. But the garage then becomes disproportionately expensive compared to the cost of the house.

Spending £10k cash outright is a very different proposition to having higher monthly repayments as I'm sure you know. It doesn't feel like value for money to drop £10k on what is essentially a brick wall with a roof on, yet an extra £100-£150 a month on something that already exists can be budgeted for and sort of goes unnoticed.

Still dont get it mate. Borrow the extra money for the garage on an unsecured basis once you have the mortgage, then it’ll just be another monthly outgoing that you can budget for.

If the house is much smaller than others, it makes sense it’s cheaper.

If your budget doesn’t stretch far enough to get a 3 bed with a garage, then you needed to decide if the third bedroom or the garage is more of a priority for you.

Ask the estate agent how much money the garage will add to the value of the house?
Down south people are giving concrete prefab garages away for free...

If you do it all yourself, I reckon the materials will come in at about 8k. I'm near finishing a 9x3.3 with brick front and block sides which will be clad in hardie plank (or the cembrit equivalent) with slate roof. My total material costs including windows, door, raft etc will be just nudging 10K. About 6K in so far with windows, garage door, side door, cladding still to purchase. Pictures on the project photos forum over at screwfix. https://community.screwfix.com/threads/garage-work-in-progress.222282/ just been putting membrane and slate battens on - need to post another pic!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back