Single light switch controlling 2 lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my living room I currently have a single light which is controlled by a single switch.

I have put in a number of halogen lights which now all trigger off the single switch

I am looking to put some X10 control onto these lights such that there are two circuits: Circuit 1 controls 3 lights & Circuit 2 controls 2 lights.

I am more than happy about how to convert the single circuit to 2 with the X10 moules turning on the lights but I would also like the old light switch to still work i.e. flick the old light switch and it turns on both circuits

The bit I am struggling on is how to wire this is that if you put the switch to both circuits then it will cause a short on the X10 modules thus turning all lights on when either X10 circuit is switched on.

Is it just a case of using the switch to turn on relay triggered feeds (thus isolating each circuit? If so would some normal 240V 3A ones be OK? The only limitation with this is you could not have them dimmable.

Is there a way of doing this keeping the main dimmer with the capability of dimming all lights?

[2 Light Circuit = 100W]
[3 Light Circuit = 150W]

Sponsored Links
If the norma switch is change-over (as used at the ends of a 2 way circuit) then you can have com =live, 1= direct to lamp, and 2 = to lamp via X10s

If not the X10's need to be changeover too, and weire as a type 2 two way switch (see reference posts for 2 way switch wiring.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back