Single or 3 phase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, how can you tell from looking at the breaker panel (see pics) whether a house has single or 3 phase? these pictures taken in Portugal, but the panel is general EU one eg Spain, etc. also.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How many wires in your main supply?
Two wires would suggest single phase, live, neutral and your own earth locally.
Three or four would suggest three phase. Although three wires could easily be single phase: live, neutral and earth. Highly unlikely to have just three wires for a three phase supply though because it would rely on a balanced load accross all three phases which is probably impossible in a domestic situation.

Within the consumer unit the banks could be fed by different phases. So it may not be possible to tell from the outside. Although it looks as though there is only one main breaker. I can't tell from the photos if it's a single phase breaker, or even a double pole breaker.

Irrespective of the supply, I would expect all your domestic equipment to be 240V single phase equipment.

Three phase equipment will be 415V.

I'm not an electrician, wouldnt unscrew panel (not mine) so wouldnt even know where to look for main supply coming in. As you say, the simplest would be able to tell from the size of the main breaker. I would really like to be able to distinguish in future between single phase breakers and the bigger ones needed for 3 phase. I've been round a DIY store but they are useless there!
Anyway, thanks for your reply.

some of the MCBs appear to be in groups of three with the levers all joined together so that if one trips the other two will also be turn off.

That is a strong indication that those three breakers are on a three phase supply.

Sponsored Links
Dont know if you can see my pictures, but the big wide switch marked 'geral' in Portuguese is maybe what you are describing and if so, I'm wondering if thats the sign of 3 phase on a breaker panel....
thanks anyway!

Back