1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need this contactor/relay?

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by satprof, 6 Oct 2019.

1. satprof

satprof

Thanks Received:
    Spain
    In the 30yr-old Spanish house we've recently moved to (with 3-phase supply) there's basically an old single 3-phase RCD covering all the main circuits. As is common in Spain, the supply is limited to about 10Kw across the 3 phases. I'm going to be updating the CU to use RCBOs across most of the circuits (& yes, I'm quite experienced in this area.)

Immediately downstream from the 3-phase RCD is a 3-phase contactor/relay which appears to simply ensure clean switching when the RCD is reset. I would like to use the DIN rail space taken up by this contactor and will be eliminating the connections from it to most (but not all) of the circuits downstream from it (letting the new RCBOs perform the RCD function).

I am planning to simply install an up-to-date 3-phase RCD and remove the contactor. Can anyone see why this might be a bad idea.

Thanks for your ideas.

2. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

3. Sponsored Links