wylex din rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recieved a wylex 8 way CU. I need to fit a 4 pole contactor to it. (Bathroom project, want the shower, fan and shower light to come on with the shower pull, and RCD'd - the main light will also be fed from here) However, only the space for the main switch has DIN rail! The rest is simply a "ledge" at the top. I'm guessing wylex only put din rail in if its likely to be needed - for instance for split loads etc.

So short of leaving the contactor floating on its ledge, what can I do? :(

I toyed with the idea of having the mainswitch in the middle, but even the section of din rail is not wide enough for the contactor (its 3 modules wide).

Do Wylex supply din rails for their boards on request?

Sponsored Links
Which Wylex is it Steve?? Giz a pic!!

Have come across a few boards where the DIN rail does not exist and the breakers sit on the busbar, don't like it, won't use it. Amazed that the DIN Rail does not run the whole length!!

Bit flash Steve!! Are you having a TV in there as well??!?!?!?!!?!?!?

prob got a top mount and the bottom is secured via the bus bar. I haven't used a wylex board for a long time and only then because it was supplied by the customer.

I used a Wylex cu for the same set up of contactors/timers for external lighting, I binned the supplied din & drilled a short length of top hat din rail to fit inside the enclosure job done.

Sponsored Links
Which Wylex is it Steve?? Giz a pic!!

Have come across a few boards where the DIN rail does not exist and the breakers sit on the busbar, don't like it, won't use it. Amazed that the DIN Rail does not run the whole length!!

Bit flash Steve!! Are you having a TV in there as well??!?!?!?!!?!?!?
Heh, no TV, but I'm toying with having the whole lot in there on an occupancy sensor. If not, the shower pull will control at least the shower and the fan. Theres a window for smells. (Having the fan on the pull switch as well will encourage people to turn it off)

I bought a Hager 4 way CU a couple of years back, for the shed, and that had full length din rail IIRC. I remember having to pull the clips on the bottom to change the breakers around.

All wired up now oharaf, I will put up a picture in due course. At the moment its set up so that the pullswitch is wired in a single 1.0mm twin and earth controlling the contactor. I have powered up the contactor and it doesnt seem to mind sitting where it is, its held in place by the cables and the front cover, I dont see that it really matters that its not properly secured, its just a bodge (where you least need one, on the highest powered circuit). The contactor is very quiet in operation. None of this loud clunking (though possibly because its not fastened properly).

The CU serves as a submain so I can have all the bathroom on a 50A MCB on the RCD side of the main board (16th ed). I then have a 40A for the shower via contactor, and 6A for the control circuit.

Anyone got a length of din rail going spare? :LOL: I dont want to leave it as it is.

Perhaps it's cost-cutting during the Credit Crunch Recession?

My Wylex unit has a full length din-rail inside it - perhaps Wylex are cutting back on materials nowadays! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Up in yorks this next week, passing down M1 end of next week, if you 2 want to sort it out I could be the delivery boy!!! But to be honest steve nip to Chitty and buy some :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back