Three Generations of Wylex Consumer Boards.

Sponsored Links
Change it to a VoIP line. Around £8 per month. ...
I've considered that in the past, but have always encountered obstacles, probably because there are a lot of things about it that I don't understand. For example ....
... You can port your existing number, or numbers.
If I were to relinquish all my BT landlines, how would I be able to 'port' those existing numbers? In theory, BT could re-allocate those 'relinquished' numbers to other subscribers, couldn't they?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Is your internet satalite then john ?
No - wireless from a mast on a nearby hill! Being in the 'ignored sticks', those of my neighbours who rely on their landline for a broadband connection are lucky to get 1 mbps, with little prospect of that changing any time soon. Although not particularly cheap, fortunately some private enterprise came up with a far superior wireless solution!

Kind Regards, John

Having to pay rental for the fax line is, as I said, a pain, since it's virtually not needed - but a well-known law says that I would miss an important incoming fax the day after I got rid of it, no matter how much I tried to 'inform' people!
Get a distinctive ring switch, then cease the fax line but have BT transfer its number over to one of your other lines as a "CallSign" number. That way you could keep the existing number at minimal cost for the odd occasions anyone might call it, and calls would still route to your fax machine but without disturbing you on your regular phone(s). If one number is busy, both will be busy, but that shouldn't be a problem for a number which gets little use.

H A Nunn & Sons were incorporated on 26 March, 1962 and have since been dissolved. One of the company check sites states their next accounts due date is 26 December 1963, so perhaps they weren't around for long.

Au contraire, the company check site I looked at (reliable) said the Directors (all Nunns) held Directorships from 14/2/91. The company is dissolved, but the date is unknown.

Change it to a VoIP line. Around £8 per month. ...
I've considered that in the past, but have always encountered obstacles, probably because there are a lot of things about it that I don't understand. For example ....
... You can port your existing number, or numbers.
If I were to relinquish all my BT landlines, how would I be able to 'port' those existing numbers? In theory, BT could re-allocate those 'relinquished' numbers to other subscribers, couldn't they?

Kind Regards, John
You sign up with the new supplier and they port the number. Don't whatever you do cancel your contract with BT, let the new supplier do it, otherwise the number does get lost, and us a nightmare to get back.

I use VoIP for my second line, keeping work and home separate. Different ring tone allows me to choose if to answer the call. Once ported away from BT, your number can be presented anywhere, and not tied to an exchange. That's the main reason I did it, when I moved between exchange areas. I kept my work number. New home line, under a business contract for next day repairs, business broadband, VoIP line on the broadband for my work lines (you can receive multiple calls).

Get a distinctive ring switch, then cease the fax line but have BT transfer its number over to one of your other lines as a "CallSign" number. That way you could keep the existing number at minimal cost for the odd occasions anyone might call it, and calls would still route to your fax machine but without disturbing you on your regular phone(s). If one number is busy, both will be busy, but that shouldn't be a problem for a number which gets little use.
Thanks. The last time I looked into that option (admittedly a long time ago) the 'minimal cost' was far from minimal, and not that much less than rental on the fax line. Maybe I should look into it again.

Kind Regards, John

You have to arrange the porting process with the new provider before the BT service is terminated, then the number can be transferred. Be warned though, trying to operate fax over VoIP can be fraught with difficulties. And as you're using wireless internet service, VoIP of any sort could cause a lot of problems, depending upon how it's configured, usage in the area, etc.

Is your internet satalite then john ?
No - wireless from a mast on a nearby hill! Being in the 'ignored sticks', those of my neighbours who rely on their landline for a broadband connection are lucky to get 1 mbps, with little prospect of that changing any time soon. Although not particularly cheap, fortunately some private enterprise came up with a far superior wireless solution!

Kind Regards, John
We have a network around here. A huge fibre connection comes into the town, and is relayed out with long range transmitters of various types to cover the out lying areas. Works well, but is probe to outages.

Most companies that offer VOIP lines are also able to provide fax forwarding. You port your number to them, they receive the fax and email it as a PDF to you.

We have a network around here. A huge fibre connection comes into the town, and is relayed out with long range transmitters of various types to cover the out lying areas. Works well, but is probe to outages.
Exactly the same setup here, and it's gradually expanded to cover many villages. As well as the 'long-range transmitters' there is also some 'house-to-house' wireless relaying within villages to reach houses which are not line-of-sight to the primary transmitter.

I've had this for nearly 12 years now, and it's been remarkably reliable. There are, of course, occasional outages, but generally infrequent and brief. Murphy's law being what it is, problems often seem to arise late on Friday or Saturday nights and they (a very small local company) nearly always manage to get things up and running again within an hour or three. The only significant period of outage occurred when one of their masts got blown down in one the storms - and one hardly blame them for that!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back