Three Generations of Wylex Consumer Boards.

K

kai

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are Three main generations of the Wylex Board around.

1): Traditional Standard Range with plug in rewireable fuses, supplemented by plug in cartridge fuse holders and MCB's at a later date. In production for many decades, up until around 1988.

2): Wylex NN Board (Had one of them in a previous home) were an early attempt by Wylex to produce a din-rail system board, with the deeper than usual breakers, and they were relatively short lived from the middle of 1989 until the middle of 1997 only.

3a): Wylex NH board - was in production between 1998 until 2014, with various minor detail difference over the years, but all fully interchangeable - recognisable by the two positive contact indication red/green windows at the top edge of the main switch.

3b): Wylex Amendment three board - the present metal generaton, based closely on their NH boards, so that breakers and contents are freely interchangeable between them.

Why was the NN board produced for such a short time? Makes spare breakers difficult to find as they were only available between mid 1989 to mid 1997 - the shortest lived Wylex range!

Sponsored Links
Correct me if I am wrong, but there are Three main generations of the Wylex Board around....
I think that is all essentially true. Metal ones are obviously no new thing - Wylex Standard and NH (and probably NN, about which I know little) were/are certainly available in metal as well as insulated versions.

Kind Regards, John

I think 3a could be split into 3 versions!

Nsb red/green coloured with fixed neutral bar.
Nsb
The last one taking nhx breakers

Last edited:
You could also split no. 1 into sub-categories:

1a. Wooden framed, open back.

1b. All enclosed construction, white or brown "thick" molded casing.

1c. Later (mid 1980's onward?) plastic, thinner material, and easily identified by the different shape front cover and the inverted main switch (up for on).

1d. Metal-clad.

Sponsored Links
You could also split 1d. up....

The later versions gained a plastic shroud around the fuse-banks and the colour changed from a galvanised looking grey to more of a flat colour

Wasn't NH the commerical/industrial board that was around when NB was the consumer units. The NH breakers stuck out a lot further. You could fit the wrong ones. but on the CU the NH breakers would stop the plastic flap from closing, and the NB breakers in the three phase boards looked like they'd sunk in!

image.jpg

3 generations of circuit breakers just in this board!

As it's the gents is that why the cu label is marked Roller Shi…………er ? and not shutter as John wrongly noted :confused:

DS

Last edited:
As it's the gents is that why the cu label is marked Roller Shi…………er ? and not shutter as John has noted :confused:
It would look as if it could well be both! (I posted my "shutter" suggestion before I had seen the second photo).

Kind Regards, John

There is the earlier generation of NSB breakers with coloured rockers.

Plus there were 2 gens of NB breakers: those below or ones with round tunnel terminals on top.

As far as I can recall, were the two types of NB breakers sorted into M6 Regular breaking capacity (open terminals) and M9 Higher breaking capacity (tunnel terminals) (Prefixed HB before the part number)??

Wylex 1a

IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg
Notice the 5 digit phone number on the sticker, not sure when they changed to 6 on this exchange, but certainly not in my lifetime

H A Nunn & Sons were incorporated on 26 March, 1962 and have since been dissolved. One of the company check sites states their next accounts due date is 26 December 1963, so perhaps they weren't around for long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back