Three Generations of Wylex Consumer Boards.

You have to arrange the porting process with the new provider before the BT service is terminated, then the number can be transferred. Be warned though, trying to operate fax over VoIP can be fraught with difficulties. And as you're using wireless internet service, VoIP of any sort could cause a lot of problems, depending upon how it's configured, usage in the area, etc.
That all makes sense. Particularly given that the business voice and fax lines are VAT-recoverable and tax-deductible, we are talking of far from a fortune, so I think there is a limit to how far it would be worth going in search of 'clever' alternatives!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We have a network around here. A huge fibre connection comes into the town, and is relayed out with long range transmitters of various types to cover the out lying areas. Works well, but is probe to outages.
Exactly the same setup here, and it's gradually expanded to cover many villages. As well as the 'long-range transmitters' there is also some 'house-to-house' wireless relaying within villages to reach houses which are not line-of-sight to the primary transmitter.

I've had this for nearly 12 years now, and it's been remarkably reliable. There are, of course, occasional outages, but generally infrequent and brief. Murphy's law being what it is, problems often seem to arise late on Friday or Saturday nights and they (a very small local company) nearly always manage to get things up and running again within an hour or three. The only significant period of outage occurred when one of their masts got blown down in one the storms - and one hardly blame them for that!

Kind Regards, John
A condition of contract with the company near me is that you will allow your receiver to be used as a transmitter if required. They had hoped to mesh the network for redundancy, but this hasn't happened. If a relay goes down, you loose a huge chunk. Some relays are powered by car batteries due to location, and these seem to fail the most.

A condition of contract with the company near me is that you will allow your receiver to be used as a transmitter if required.
Ah - no contractual obligation here, but I believe that one gets a reduction in subscription if one is being used as a relay point.
They had hoped to mesh the network for redundancy, but this hasn't happened. If a relay goes down, you loose a huge chunk. Some relays are powered by car batteries due to location, and these seem to fail the most.
I believe that those within a village who are working through a local relay (which involves omnidirectional antennae) enjoy some degree of network redundancy. However, those (like me) who are communicating directly with a remote location are using highly directional antennae, hence presumably precluding any alternative routing.

However, as I've said, the system has so far proved to be very reliable and the service remarkably good for such a small company. For example, just before Christmas I suddenly lost my connection late on a Saturday night, and it eventually transpired that (after 11+ years) the receiver/antenna unit on my chimney had filled with water. Before 9am the next day (Sunday), there was a guy on my roof replacing the unit.

Kind Regards, John

I have the guts of a Wylex board with exactly the same screw missing! [Cue Twilight Zone music]

PS I thought I'd stumbled across the thread about telephone numbers, not the one about Wylex boards!
That's where that screw needed to go! It fell out when I took it out of the van, and cos it had the lid on I couldn't see one missing. It's in the racking somewhere.

And yea, it has MAJORLY digressed. It's not even an on topic discussion really (expect for the sticker on that cover). Think a mod could do with splitting this thread.

Sponsored Links
And yea, it has MAJORLY digressed. It's not even an on topic discussion really (expect for the sticker on that cover). Think a mod could do with splitting this thread.
That's often the case - but it seems as if the mods do not have the ability to split threads - or, at least, choose not to use the facility.

As some of you may recall, a year or three ago I went through a phase of trying to deal with this myself, by starting new threads for tangential spin-offs from others I had been involved in. However, that didn't really work very well since, by the time I had realised what was happening (and hence the need for a split), it was really too late for me to do that effectively, since a lot of 'already there' posts would really need transferring to the new thread in order to maintain continuity.

One might have hoped that the new forum software might give the mods more functionality in this respect - mods??

Kind Regards, John

Well, the forum software is XenForo, which does indeed have a split thread functionality. So it's lack of use, rather than no ability to do so

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 19.36.21.png

Well, the forum software is XenForo, which does indeed have a split thread functionality. So it's lack of use, rather than no ability to do so
Thanks. I've brought this issue to the mods' attention again. When I did so in the past, I was told that the old software didn't allow for ('easy' or at all) thread splitting - so maybe things can now change.

Kind Regards, John

I think the mods just accept there are tangences on this forum. And can't be bothered to edit it

I think the mods just accept there are tangences on this forum. And can't be bothered to edit it
If that's so, I think that's a pity. Although I'm often involved in, and not infrequently am 'responsible for', many of the 'tangents', I would prefer them to be separated. In the distant past when I had 'moderator powers' (not that we called it that) in forums, much of the work involved was in editing, splitting, and sometimes even combining, threads - so I would personally tend to think of it as "part of the job"!.

Kind Regards, John

I used to be a moderator too. I recall it wasn't a very nice job sorting threads out !
It wasn't - but it was accepted as a major part of the job. Mind you, my experience was mainly in the 80s and early/mid 90s (i.e. a lot actually pre-dating 'the Internet'), and I would hope that the available software tools will have improved dramatically since then!

Kind Regards, John

I used to be a moderator too. I recall it wasn't a very nice job sorting threads out !
It wasn't - but it was accepted as a major part of the job. Mind you, my experience was mainly in the 80s and early/mid 90s (i.e. a lot actually pre-dating 'the Internet'), and I would hope that the available software tools will have improved dramatically since then!

Kind Regards, John
Yea this software is super simple (there's a demo on the XenForo website), there's tick boxes on each post, and you just check the posts you want to move, hit move and then the pop up I posted lets you choose what to do with the selected posts

Yea this software is super simple (there's a demo on the XenForo website), there's tick boxes on each post, and you just check the posts you want to move, hit move and then the pop up I posted lets you choose what to do with the selected posts
Sounds great - and much easier than in the dark ages. In that case, it sounds as if "they have no excuse" :)

Many of the problems in those 'pre-Internet' days resulted from the fact that much of the forum management had to be done 'off-line'.

Kind Regards, John

Other than the fact it happens in EVERY thread.....
It does sometime feel like that but, in reality, it happens in a 'serious' fashion in only a minority of cases. Of the 100 most recent threads, only 17% got beyond 2 pages and 65% did not get beyond the first page.

Kind Regards, John

All
It gets impossible to split long threads and make sense.
Suggest you start a new thread for new subjects. You can make a link between posts. Posts within a thread can be reference by checking the address at the small post number.
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back