Recessed 2 Module Metalclad Backbox with Din Rail

There must be some reason that this type of enclosure is not sold in the Uk???
Is it something to do with Amendment 3 of the Wiring regulation, which prohibit a flush mount din-rail enclosure, other than to use a consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
I believe Schneider, or Telemec as was, sold the moulds for a lot of their switchgear to a chinese manufacturer some time ago.
No, they didn't. They (Telemecanique) did sell the tooling for their old D1 range of contactors to an Indian company in the 1980s, and they lived to regret it!

As far as I am aware many consumer units are infact UPVC or similar material e.g. MEM, Wylex etc etc(probably made under licence in the far east!!).
No, the genuine ones use much more sophisticated plastics than uPVC. The better ones are often made in the far east, but in the manufacturers' own subsidiaries rather than 'under licence'. One UK manufacturer tried licensing the manufacture tp far eastern factories, but soon found out their products were going out of the back door under other names, at twice the rate of 'official'production.

Sponsored Links
There must be some reason that this type of enclosure is not sold in the Uk???
Is it something to do with Amendment 3 of the Wiring regulation, which prohibit a flush mount din-rail enclosure, other than to use a consumer unit?
Nope. You can still put contractors, timers, relays etc in a plastic enclosure. You can use an adaptable box and put some DIN rail in it if the situation calls for it. And of course, you can still use plastic consumer units everywhere bar domestic situations.

"Designed and built in the UK to BS EN 60439"o_O

Edit: BS EN 60439 has been withdrawn for some years now. It has been replaced by the BS EN 61439 series, which has substantially different requirements.

Last edited:
I believe Schneider, or Telemec as was, sold the moulds for a lot of their switchgear to a chinese manufacturer some time ago.
No, they didn't. They (Telemecanique) did sell the tooling for their old D1 range of contactors to an Indian company in the 1980s, and they lived to regret it!

A panelbuilder once showed me some contactors which looked exactly like old schneider gear and were chinese branded.

A lot of Chinese companies have copied Telemecanique (and other) designs. They don't use the right materials though, and they sometimes leave out important bits whose function isn't immediately obvious (e.g. interlocks on reversing starters).
I led an industry group trying to put a stop to the import of these rip-offs some years ago, without much success. Lots of lawyers making lots of money...

The trouble is that many far eastern companies do not even understand why a given product is made a certain way! It's like their own brand MCB's are made of polystyrene, which starts to soften at around 80 degrees centigrade!

I led an industry group trying to put a stop to the import of these rip-offs some years ago, without much success. Lots of lawyers making lots of money...
The latter would not be possible if there were clear laws with teeth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back