single phase stop/start motor breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya, friend of mine has a stone chop saw and the manual motor start s/w broke, the replacement came but having some trouble connecting it up. Got an incoming 2.5mm flex 110v, and then a 2.5mm flex and 1.5mm flex going to the motor. the connections on the motor start s/w are:-

Bottom T4 T5 T6

TOP L1 L2 L3

anyone got a simple wiring diagram or any help many thanks

Sponsored Links
Motors are started and controlled in many different ways. It may have a capacitor, centrifugal switch, be three phase, or a brushed motor.

If over 0.37 kW it must have an over load device and may also require a method to stop it re-starting after a power cut.

But there is no size fits all diagram you will need a lot more information.

I don't quite follow the description.

Are you saying the machine had one type of switch, and when it failed you got a replacement which is the same ? Or is the replacement different ?

If it's the same then you just need to make a note of what goes where and connect the new switch just the same. If it's different then you've a bit more work.

You mention three flexes, one is the supply, one to the motor, what is the third ?
Normally, these starters come with diagrams for the various connections, and you should follow that. For single phase you normally put the neutral through one main pole, and the live through the other two - it goes through one, then loops back and goes through the other*. Most likely from your description, you'd connect the supply to L1 and L2, link T5 to L3, and connect the motor to T4 and T6. BUT you must read the instructions that came with the starter as it may need the live & neutral to be connected to specific terminals for the coil circuit to be powered.

* This is so that the load current goes through all three poles of the overload - otherwise it doesn't work properly.

to ericmark i stated single phase in post! it has a capacitor. Whats happended is he's taken it apart, with out noting down the connections. I've taken the orginal to newey and eyre to get a replacement. When the replacement came, it was different in the fact that it only had the teminals L1 L2 L3
T4 T5 T6

where as the old stop start had two leads coming from the top, which i take goes through a coil. Thing is they said they cant get an exact replacement. I should also mention this machine runs at 1 speed, and the only control is the stop start button. There are two flexes going to the motor to answer your question, and then the supply. Cheers for your input all info is welcome

Sponsored Links
...! it has a capacitor. Whats happended is he's taken it apart, with out noting down the connections.
Give him a good slat for that :cry: I have a mate with that sort of habit - he hands you a pile of bits and says he can't remember how it came apart.
I've taken the orginal to newey and eyre to get a replacement. When the replacement came, it was different in the fact that it only had the teminals L1 L2 L3
T4 T5 T6

where as the old stop start had two leads coming from the top, which i take goes through a coil. Thing is they said they cant get an exact replacement. I should also mention this machine runs at 1 speed, and the only control is the stop start button. There are two flexes going to the motor to answer your question, and then the supply.
"two flexes to the motor" - two off two (or three with earth) core flexes, or two cores ?

This new starter, it is one of those with two push buttons (start & stop) and a largish bit in the middle that pulls in with a clunk when you press the start button ? If so, then trace out the coil circuit and find out which terminals it connects to (probably L1-L2 or L1-L3). Does it have an overload unit attached ? Do you have the instruction that came with it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back