Single pipe system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm having a wood floor put in. I'd been concerned that I had a one pipe heating system when I lifted the hall floor but thought with a modernish house I'd got it wrong but now going underneath the lounge after lifting carpets in preparation I realise it is indeed single pipe. The single pipe loop goes around the room and on to next room with "flow" and "return" coming off this same pipe, compression tees off.

I actually had a new boiler just a few months ago with new unvented heating system, contacted fitter said he's surprised (house is 1970s) didn't know it was one pipe and he can't repipe for a few weeks (busy this time of year...) Said if working fine he might leave it be.

Now I'm not sure whether to hold up the job a bit to get it done or just to crack on. All ground floor except kitchen (tiled) is up and just floorboards presently.

My question is: is it worth holding the job up to get it replumbed, I assume with half the house at floorboards this is the time, if any? Big job? I know there will necessarily be some disruption upstairs (although upstairs landing is at floorboards too for some replastering as part of the job). Bedrooms all carpeted (likely ply underneath if downstairs anything to go by!)

I'll have to try and get other plumbers who may do it sooner, I'm feeling guilty holding up my planned work - but obviously only realised once floors up ready to start...

(System works well by the way, all radiators heat up, TRVs never seemed to work that well - OK if on full, dubious at other settings - reading around I now understand why...1970s house by the way)

Comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If Thecsystem heats your home why bother changing it??

There is specific TRVs for single pipe systems, ensure you have them, standard TRVs will not work & the flow through them is very limited.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back