Single rad zone - flow issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Ive got a few issues with my recently installed heating system. The plumber that fitted it did a good enough job of running pipes and installing rads, but i have issues with noise, trapped air and rads heating up slowly, and the boiler was left in defaults for all settings. He also didn't balance any radiators.

The main issue i have is, its split into 2 zones. 1 for the whole house, and one with a single rad for my office (uninsulated space currently). So with both zones open, the furthest rads in the house dont get warm. If i close the single rad zone all is well. If i close the lockshields to balance the single rad zone down, its very noisy when operating just that rad, and doesn't heat well. My theory is as well that the restricted flow on the system using a single rad is causing the air in the system.

Now, i currently have no bypass valve installed either, so pump overrun is an issue when both zones shut. So i need a ABV before the zones. My question, is there a way to automatically balance the single rad, so that when that zone is open, it gets unrestricted flow, but when the main house is open, it balances down? Would an ABV do that job if set correctly or are they just open/closed?

Note ive tried upping my boiler pump (WB 8000) to 350mbar (250 was default). The pump then ran faster but this just increased noise when on the single rad. The boiler read 60% pump modulation when on the single zone and raised to 70% modulation for the whole house being open. (was 70/80% when set to 350mb)

All of this is much more noticeable since i've tried to bring my flow temps right down to 50c

Sponsored Links
Have you taken this up with your installer? This all should be ironed out with them.

As above get installer back he did not do a 'good enough job' if system needs a auto bypass it should have been fitted ,
Likewise system should have been correctly vented and balanced.
You should not be having to ask about problems on a Internet forum that really relates to poor installation practice.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have been trying to get the installer back and to fix it for a year. The system is 1 year old this month. My experience with plumbers has not been great...therefore im trying to glean the answers here so i can get direct an engineer to the correct solutions for the problems i am facing.
The main issue being, when correctly balanced (myself), the single zone rad is very noisy when the other zone is closed, due to the flow rate/pressure being exerted on the single rad. When fully opened its quiet, but when both zones are open, the farthest rads dont get warm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back