single skin external wall causing condensation/cold/damp!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been suffering from black spot mould for five years in a ground floor room with a single brick skin external wall. I have hacked the existing plaster off as it was suffering from salts and there is a chemical damp proof course in place from an established company. Air bricks are plenty beneath the timber joists and into cellar, I have also insulated between the joists to prevent cold coming up through the floor boards.

My intention was to line the wall with something? Maybe some sort of barrier that i can then dot and dab foil backed plaster board to this.

Will this be any good?

My limitations are if I have to use batterns etc then i will have to move the door way etc!!!! I have about 15/20mm to play with. any thoughts and solutions would be welcome?

Sponsored Links
hmmm. first thing to do is to establish why the damp? where's the source? this should be fixed first before throwing money at solutions to cover it up.

sounds like it's a constant problem if you're having efflorescence (salts) regularly, assuming damp proof course is fine, have you checked outside for a bridge of the DPC or a broken gutter etc?

probably not a cold a cold spot as this would only cause condensation and salts suggest water from the wall coming through, thistle dricoat plaster may be an option but this could cause a cold spot if it's an outside wall.

all really depends on the problem though which should be established if possible first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back