Covering for damp cellar wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My house is mid terraced property with a cellar. The cellar has a concrete floor and the walls are bare brick, damp in places, with salts on the bricks and the remains of some blown plaster which must have been on there years ago. The floor dry and in good condition. A chemical damp proof course has been installed around ceiling height, which seems to have been effective as there is no damp on the floor above.

I am looking to use the cellar as a workshop space, and would like to tidy up the walls but dont want (or need) the expense of fully tanking the room out. Was thinking about applying a lime render, or maybe dot and dabbing poly backed plaster boards... Has anyone got any suggestions or am I just wasting my time?

Cheers, Richard

Sponsored Links
rendering or dot&dabbing onto damp backgrounds is not a good idea, if you want to board it you could try one of the metal framing systems or put a membrane over the walls first and use timber

Apply a slurry (I would go for sika 1 but it costs) then render. If you have nothing running down the wall you will be ok and no need to tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back