Single Storey Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By way of providing some background I have included some information that can be found in previous posts.

June 2015

We wanted to build a first floor extension on the rear of our semi detached house. It would be first floor only and stand on pillars, as we would have a sitting area beneath. It would be 5m in length and 3 m in depth.
I had the plans drawn and spoke to my neighbour who made it quite clear that he would object.
The plans went in and the Planning officer conducted a site visit. The neighbour had objected due to the light he perceived would be lost. So I spoke to the neighbour and we agreed that if I shortened the length to 3m he would have no objection. The plans were redrawn and sent in.
The revised plan was turned down due to the obverse effect on my neighbour. This is for a 3x3m upstair bedroom that we need to continue to provide foster care to children.
This then went to planning committee.

April 2016

The original application for the rear extension was turned down, and there was no moving them. However the Planning Officer hinted that she would have no issue with a side extension. More plans were drawn for a single storey extension which would provide two bedrooms. The only issue they had was with the fact that the extension would be built on the drive where my Ford Transit lives at night and therefore it would increase the on-road parking. I offered to remove the front garden as extra parking provision. Planning agreed and it went through. Interestingly other properties have sought permission to turn front gardens into parking and have been refused.

July 2016

Half of the front garden was removed and a concrete parking space created. A small wall was built around to retain the sides.

August 2016

The Builder and the Building Inspector thought that building off a slab would be an option. The original concrete was used to park various vehicles over the years. We have parked tractors (John Deere 2140) on there and the concrete has not been damaged. The parking area is larger than the slab for the extension. B835 Structural mesh will be placed in the new slab.

Extension_1.jpg

The porch has been removed, framework built and concrete poured. It is 8" deep at its lowest.

Extension2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Extension5.jpg

Progress can be seen as the walls grow. The Lintels have arrived and are waiting to be installed.

Extension6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Extension10.jpg

Some scaffold has gone up and the joist are being fitted.

Extension11.jpg

My daughter out having a look after the builders have left.

Extension12.jpg

Extension_15.jpg

Roofing membrane and battens are in place.

Extension_16.jpg

View from the ground.

Extension_17.jpg

This view shows the parking area that the Planning Officer wanted us to include. In fact it was a 'condition' that is created before the extension could be used.

Extension_18.jpg

The blockwork is up to the roof level, both inside and out.

Extension_19.jpg

The dog takes a look. The gap at the end of this wall is to be a door with a window above. Above that will a timber framed and cladded section.

14656395_10208799629921439_3619922037259043729_n.jpg

Roof is tiled and I have just finished the Fascia and Soffits.

14639702_10208799630361450_5408529305626402807_n.jpg

14907621_10208799630081443_4764146485770797341_n.jpg

A couple of pictures showing where we have to from the inside.

14900338_10208799630721459_5501697177259796329_n.jpg

A delivery of insulation and flooring grade chipboard,....the floor is going in!

Looks nice! But where is the wall insulation? Is it just not visible from the photos?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back