single story rear extension 6m PD - clash with Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a semi detached house and want to do a rear extension under PD and understand we can get 6m with neighbours consent.

If we extend 6m this would clash with our existing garage. The garage is essentially used as a shed as no modern car could turn into it from the shared drive.

Could we connect the garage to the house (and we would want to rebuild the garage with insulated walls etc on same footprint) and still be within PD? we would change the garage to a utility room with washing machine, sink etc.

Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The proposed 6m extension and the garage would be considered as one unit. Presumably the whole build would then extend more than 6m from the original rear wall, and would therefore not be permitted development.

I might have mis-interpreted your intention, though - a quick sketch would help.

I'd agree with the above.

I think you have two options... extend 6m, demolish the garage and use part of the new extension to accommodate a new utility. Or extend up to the garage, leaving about 900-1000mm for a path and then convert the garage. The latter extension and garage conversion could then be carried out under PD.

Thanks for reply.

How do I attach a sketch..? PDF

Yes I feared that might be the answer. It suggests I would have to partially knock down an existing building to get the 6m extension as it would not be allowed to be connected? Surely it makes no difference if it is connected or disconnected if it's is still there. What difference would it make?

The difficulty is if it goes to planning they would likely reject the 6m metres as they refer back to the local guidance which is 3.5m making the scheme not worthwhile for us.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes I feared that might be the answer. It suggests I would have to partially knock down an existing building to get the 6m extension as it would not be allowed to be connected? Surely it makes no difference if it is connected or disconnected if it's is still there. What difference would it make?

It makes a difference because the GPDO is worded such that anything connected to a house is an extension of the house, not an outbuilding in its own right. By connecting the garage you thus make it an "enlarged part of a dwellinghouse" and it has to fall within the limits to be legal

Appeal decisions have held that even a few inches are sufficiently "disconnected". How averse are you to building your extension close enough to the garage that it's easy to walk across the gap between them, but keeping them as separate structures?

Many thanks for response.

It's a shame we end up with rules like this as the actual impact of two disconnected structures appear inconsequential to the build extent in terms of light, space, issues that planners are concerned with and make a large difference to the home owner who has to go outside and back in again to use the toilet and collect some washing....

Not sure what to do now. Could go for planning in the hope they would see the light.. but I doubt it

Many thanks for response.

It's a shame we end up with rules like this as the actual impact of two disconnected structures appear inconsequential to the build extent in terms of light, space, issues that planners are concerned with and make a large difference to the home owner who has to go outside and back in again to use the toilet and collect some washing....

Not sure what to do now. Could go for planning in the hope they would see the light.. but I doubt it

Maybe you could build up to an inch of the garage (2 separate structures), then apply for planning later to flash over the top of the gap and fill it. Or fill the gap anyway and apply for retrospective planning? Or just fill the gap in a removable way and if the council complain, ask if they really want you to remove the infill?

I'm just thinking out loud so none of this may be good advice.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back