6m side return extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Last year we received LDC for a 3.5m deep side infill. We want to add a rear extension, 2.5m deep, across full width of the house(victorian terraced). This will end up with a 6m long extension along the boundary. Is this allowed under PD? Totally dependent on neighbourhood consultation scheme outcome?

Sponsored Links
No, because your wrap around side extension then becomes more than half the width of the house.

Page 25/26 in the Guidance here /pic attached
Side Extension.JPG

No, because your wrap around side extension then becomes more than half the width of the house.

Page 25/26 in the Guidance here /pic attached
View attachment 113443

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure if I understand this very well. I have attached a picture similar to the original layout.
1) Original Kitchen is 3.5m deep (before 1948). 99% of the houses in our row, including my direct neighbours on both sides, have done a 3/4m extension to the original kitchen(not side infill).
2) After a side infill of 3.5m the rear wall will be flush to the current kitchen wall. I want to extend 2.5m so both the kitchen and infill will become 6m deep instead o having a staggered extension.
3) Two of my neighbouring houses(3 doors away from me) have done this. In fact, they have a 4m deep extension(full width) in addition tot he original kitchen. The architect told me it is because the same person owns those two houses.
Does that set a precedent? If I do a side infill will I be able to do a 3m(not on boundary line) Kitchen extension under PD?

current.JPG

Last edited:
It can be tricky to grasp sometimes, but it does need consent. The easiest way to start is to work out where your original rear walls are on the house, In this case you have a rear wall where the window is on the rear room marked "Reception Room" and a rear wall at the back of the kitchen where the door is. You also have a side wall where the Kitchen window is.

Your 3.5m rear "side infill" is actually a side and rear infill as it extends off both a original side and an original rear wall. If you are then adding extensions to this side and rear extension, you will have to ensure the extension is:

a) no greater than 4m (it should be a detached house from what your saying) from the original rear wall which is off the reception room. Your proposed extension will in effect be a 6m long side / rear extension and require consent.

b) not wider than half the width of the original dwelling (as RichA says). Because it's a side extension as well, and you in effect will be extending the full width of the house.

You could extend the kitchen back (on it's own) up to 4m if that's original, under permitted development, but if you want to link the infill extension to another extension, then they will be judged as a side and rear extension and both rules apply.

Sponsored Links
It can be tricky to grasp sometimes, but it does need consent. The easiest way to start is to work out where your original rear walls are on the house, In this case you have a rear wall where the window is on the rear room marked "Reception Room" and a rear wall at the back of the kitchen where the door is. You also have a side wall where the Kitchen window is.

Your 3.5m rear "side infill" is actually a side and rear infill as it extends off both a original side and an original rear wall. If you are then adding extensions to this side and rear extension, you will have to ensure the extension is:

a) no greater than 4m (it should be a detached house from what your saying) from the original rear wall which is off the reception room. Your proposed extension will in effect be a 6m long side / rear extension and require consent.

b) not wider than half the width of the original dwelling (as RichA says). Because it's a side extension as well, and you in effect will be extending the full width of the house.

You could extend the kitchen back (on it's own) up to 4m if that's original, under permitted development, but if you want to link the infill extension to another extension, then they will be judged as a side and rear extension and both rules apply.
This is very helpful. Thanks.
I am not sure how the neighbouring houses have done a full width extension. Is there any way I can refer these in my application?

This is very helpful. Thanks.
I am not sure how the neighbouring houses have done a full width extension. Is there any way I can refer these in my application?

Did they apply for planning permission for them?

The extension in that thread needed planning permission.

So does yours.
We have planning permission for 3.6m side extension. If we want it up to 6m will I need to apply again? What are the chances of having it granted. Don't want to spend another £3,000 in Architect's fees only be refused PP at the end.

We have planning permission for 3.6m side extension. If we want it up to 6m will I need to apply again? What are the chances of having it granted. Don't want to spend another £3,000 in Architect's fees only be refused PP at the end.

Take the existing plans in to the council for some pre application advice (which will cost between zero and ~150 quid) and take a felt tip pen. Ask them if what you want is likely to be approved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back