Rear extension + side return/infill 6m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wanted some advice on planning permission and how to approach it.

I have an end of terrace which has a double story side extension (previous owners built) and a conservatory.

I'm looking at creating a proper rear extension up to 6m, and also the infill area where the rear extension would meet the side extension, hopefully up to 6m also.

I've spoken to a few architects, though one has caught my attention with their advice of two separate planning submissions, I'm not really knowledgeable on all the terms etc, though he suggested we apply for a 6m rear extension on the Larger Homes Extension (?) And then if/once that gets approved, apply to get the Infill area matched up to 6m.

He says that it's more likely to be accepted than to just request a 6m rear + 6m infill.

None of the other architects have suggested this, which has got me thinking if that's the best way to approach it?

The adjoined neighbour (left side) has a rear extension roughly 5m's, 1m more than my current conservatory and the neighbour to the right is roughly over 2m's away from my boundary. Spoken to both and both are happy to sign a PW notice.

Current conservatory is 4m wide, the infill area is roughly 2.5m wide.

Again, not very knowledgeable on all this so supplying as much detail as possible for those that might have more clue to as whether I'd actually get the full width 6m extension approved or not.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
It's not clear what arrangement you have there, and whether your description of an infill is actually an infil. But on the face of it, it seems that your proposal would not be permitted development and so would require either formal permission for all of it (which may not be approved at 6m out) or the 6m applied for under prior approval, and then a planning application for the infill/wrap around/connection to existing extension.

A floor plan sketch would be useful.

Thanks for your reply woody, sorry I don't know the correct terminology of the side bit I want extend.

I've attached a quick sketch.. sorry!
The red is the original house, the blue is the rear conservatory, and the Yellow is the double story side extension.

The orange shaded area is the area I want extended which measures 6m in depth and 7m wide.

Conservatory is 4*4

Hope that helps somewhat! Apologies for the terrible sketch

Attachments

• Sketch.jpg
    Sketch.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 101
The sketch is fine - I think I've seen similar planning applications like that.

Yes it's as I posted above - you'll need to apply under different aspects of planning regulations or a single formal application.

What you need to clarify from whoever is doing the plans, is whether what you propose is permitted development (under the Prior Approval scheme for extending 6m out), or if parts are permitted development (not requiring Prior Approval) or what parts will need formal planning permission.

And you need them to clarify, if you do need to apply for prior approval or permission, whether consent is likely to be given - i.e. is the proposed works in accordance with the required planning policies?

It's no use at all making any application that wont be approved because it's not in accordance with the required criteria - and this is not the same as submitting a compliant application which is subsequently refused permission.

Sponsored Links
Hi woody,

The architect has suggested he would apply via the "Householder Planning Application" for the whole thing. Unsure if that's what you refer to when you say "Single formal application"?

The architect is coming tomorrow to measure up, still getting my head around all these things!

Would the Pre-Planning application be of more use to see what they would say?

The architect has suggested he would apply via the "Householder Planning Application" for the whole thing. Unsure if that's what you refer to when you say "Single formal application"?
Yes, if he is referring to a planning application, not the Prior Approval Scheme [application]

However, be careful with that as deep extensions invariably wont conform to your council's planning policies for one or more factors, so don't let your plan drawer submit (and charge you for) an application that wont meet planning policy and will just be refused.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back